Hi all,
I would like to convert an old a/c unit I have into a heat pump for my swimming pool. I have an external fujitsu AOG25AWNL unit (I can find no information about it anywhere). The unit is R22 and has a Tecumseh AW5532A compressor (reciprocating I think), again little/no information although in the Tecomseh equivalents it seems close to a AWA5532EXV (is it??), around 31/32 KBTUh.

So, the idea is:
The condenser is in the unit; cut the pipes and 're plumb' the pipework to take direct from the compressor out through a 3 port valve and to an external heat exchanger (the new condenser) , back via another 3 port valve and through the capillary and into the condenser (which now has becomes the evaporator) and from the 'new' evaporator back to the compressor. The condenser appears to have two circuits through it that are linked at either end. The liquid end I plan to leave but the gas end I plan to cut and braise to feed the two tubes into a 1/2" tube to connect back to the gas side of the compressor.

The heat exchanger will be interesting. I'm planning to build it from a piece of 90mm soil pipe, 50mm connections on either end for the pool water and with a wound coil inside to take the refrigerant. I have no idea how long this will need to be so as I have limited space I'm just going to size it to fit the space which is about 90cm.

So, does anyone see any glaring errors in my plan? I haven't started yet so am open to suggestions. Also does anyone have any information on the external unit I have.

Thanks,

Nigel