Hi all who will listen,

I have recently graduated from a degree in Mechanical Engineering and now find myself working as an industrial refrigeration engineer with little experience and big projects (problems?)

I have recently been tasked to review an Ammonia Cold storage facility which is not running as efficiently as possible. I have done the heat load calculations for the entire plant; 17 chillers at 0C, 22 freezers at -18C and 3 blast freezers at -30C. Giving a total load of 1012kW. My superiors believe the problem with the current system is the refrigeration lines diameter is too small, increasing running costs to an unacceptable rate.

My problem is I have no senior engineers or persons of more experience to depend on for guidance so I was hoping to get at least a nudge in the right direction from this website. Now to my question; Am I best to gather the information on current compressors, condensers, intercoolers, recievers, and what ever else there maybe in the system and from those produce what should be the running costs of the system and compare with current running costs?
This question is just one of many, and I am really hoping for some guidance to kick me off in the right direction for the review and then hopefully the design of a system upgrade.

I am currently awaiting further information on the current system from the plant manager, so if I haven't supplied enough info here please let me know.
This is all new to me and I will be forever greatfull to any who can help with some guidance.

Thanks in advance.