House built in 1990. Northern Illinois, Chicago land area. Getting a New Goodman Furnace and Split air conditioning system.

What I have now is a Weatherking Upflow single stage 120,000 BTU and the Air conditioner is 3.5 ton with 3.5 ton evaporator. Not sure of the Seer and efficiency of the Air Conditioner and Furnace? 20 years old maybe 10 seer on the air and 65-70% on the furnace?

Furnace is in the basement and I was told by two contractors that the current return ductwork 24 by 8 inches was too small.

It is a QUad level 75 % Brick home full finished basement 7 feet to drop ceiling 1 foot between the drop and floor. 675 square feet. The top level of the Quad level is not brick but wood from the ground up, why not brick I have no idea?

4 feet drop ground next level 525 square feet. Ejector pump for bathroom on this level.

Ground level 675 square feet.

Top Level 750 Square feet.

Windows up the Wazu!! Ground level has 2 sky lights and 10 windows and of the 10, 5 of them are in a row in the front room.

Top floor has two windows in the master bedroom, 1 window in the John , 2 windows in the 2nd bedroom and 1 in the 3rd smaller bedroom.

4 foot drop level has the same 5 window in a row, utility room on this same level has one window a door to the outside as well as a door to the built in 2.5 car garage.

Basement has 3 wells each with windows.

The attack does have insulation. House being 20 years ago the windows should be energy efficient??

MY ISSUE IS:

Two contractors said go with what is in there now and the system has been just fine for the last 20 years except the evaporator has decoded to leak which I have controlled for the last two summers but the leak has gotten really bad now. Loses refrigerant in 2 days. I put in the Cliplight Super seal and seem to have the air working again but I am still getting a new system.

Two other contractors said to go with the 3 ton air and 90,000 BTU two stage Goodman. I want to go Goodman and don't want to start any thread on why Goodman now.

WIth some duct work modification in the return will the 115,000 BTU2 stage 80% goodman, 3.5 ton Air by goodman be ok to use?

I was told the air might be ok but the furnace will not bad will cycle on and off too much?

Its not doing any of that now so why would the Goodman unit do that? I am going 5K less BTU.

Basically the contractor that is putting it in is complaining its too much and he won't be responsible if its cycles on and off to the point is shuts down.

The other contractors said if that became a problem I could add another register to the return but would that not be an issue if the hot water heater is in the same room? The gases from the hot water heater would cycle back into the return and that would be too dangerous right?

Anyone can help on this one I would appreciate it greatly