Hello,

I have a handfull of questions about refrigerant recovery, so any help with any of them would be much appreciated.

First, here's what I am doing. I work in a Scrapyard, draining ***** from fridges (among a million other jobs). I was sent to a course to get my ODP card, was given the worst crash course ever, and was sent on my no-so-merry way.

Here are my problems.

1) What is the proper technique for tapping a refrigerator to recover the *****? I was told to simply look at the tubes on the back, find the one that runs from the top of the fridge down to the condensor, punch it, and I was set. Is there more to it? What about vapour and liquid recovery at the same time?

2)I have manuals for both of my recovery units. One is a Robinair, the other is a Yellow Jacket. Both are as old as dirt. In each manual, they say to let the unit run until "system reaches an adequate vac level". What is an adequate vac level? Therre is no indicators on the gauges, and I have no clue how much vac pressure there needs to be.

3) Is there a better puncture tool then the Yellow Jacket vice grips? I can do 3 or 4 fridges then my tips are shot and need to be changed. This can get expensive when I am doing 30 fridges a day, 2-3 days a week...

Sorry for my first post being so long, but I need these answers ASAP. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

J.J. Mac