Thread: keg room

keg room

I was wondering when setting the controls of a keg room would the ideal storage temperature of the room be around 7C or could the beer be set at lower temp?
    Thanks

Re: keg room

Quote Originally Posted by shills33 View Post
    I was wondering when setting the controls of a keg room would the ideal storage temperature of the room be around 7C or could the beer be set at lower temp?
    Thanks
    Beer cellars are normally kept at around the 10 deg C point.
    If you want it colder the beer passes through a flash cooler that lowers the temp to what you want.

If you try to run the room too cold you get other problems and the expence increases as well.
    The evaps are off cycle defrost so no heat is introduced to them.
    The rooms tend not to be insulated so heat transfer is an issue when you try to take the temp too low.

Cheers taz.

Thanks taz

Hi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2346266

Have a look here 12 c would be better

Regards Bernard

That is way to warm. Light beer freezes at -1 c because of the higher water, darker beers freeze at -3 c or near. I worked years ago for a company that installed these in the US and I hate warm beer. Each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones74 View Post
    That is way to warm. Light beer freezes at -1 c because of the higher water, darker beers freeze at -3 c or near. I worked years ago for a company that installed these in the US and I hate warm beer. Each his own.
    Hi Bones.

You need to understand how the brewery industry works in the UK.
    Beers were traditionaly drunk at room temp (celler temp).

When larger became more and more popular the temp was controlled in the rooms to about 12degC.

In the last 15 years the popularity of cold beer has forced the sale of cold beers at a temp of 2degC.

We refrigerate cellars down to about 10 / 12degC and then the largers are flash cooled down to about 7 degC and 2 degC for the extra cold ones.

Just ask Frank.

Cheers taz.
    Last edited by taz24; 25-10-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Wow, big difference in the cold one over here. But as long as we are all still enjoying one. I am happy!

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    Hi Bones.

You need to understand how the brewery industry works in the UK.
    Beers were traditionaly drunk at room temp (celler temp).

When larger became more and more popular the temp was controlled in the rooms to about 12degC.

In the last 15 years the popularity of cold beer has forced the sale of cold beers at a temp of 2degC.

We refrigerate cellars down to about 10 / 12degC and then the largers are flash cooled down to about 7 degC and 2 degC for the extra cold ones.

Just ask Frank.

Cheers taz.
    I'm more partial to hand pulled beers from local micro brewery's served at 10C.

I think that a beer served too cold removes a lot of the flavour. In very warm weather, I do enjoy a cold Cider though.

As for Lagers - well, as they aren't beer, I can't comment Lager - Yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I'm more partial to hand pulled beers from local micro brewery's served at 10C.

I think that a beer served too cold removes a lot of the flavour. In very warm weather, I do enjoy a cold Cider though.

As for Lagers - well, as they aren't beer, I can't comment Lager - Yuk.
    I agree, The US has a couple good beers and allot of weasel piss. I prefer Stouts.

G'day guys

I have been looking after a lot of clubs and pubs here in Oz for more years than I care to mention. Over here the serving temperature of keg beer at the bar is between 2'C & 3'C otherwise there will be a mutiny by the drinkers in the establishments......

Many years ago one of the main brewers in Oz decided to recommend serving beer at 7'C, as this improves the appearance of beer in the glass with a nice thick, foamy head, and also improves the taste. I cannot tell you the reaction of the drinkers in the first club I altered to this recommendation. I can tell you I was back within the hour resetting everything back to original (2'C).

In the earlier years, keg coolrooms where set to operate at 10'C. The main reason was at this temperature the natural CO2 in the beer build up to a high enough pressure to reduce the amount of bottled gas into the system. At lower storage temperature, the natural CO2 pressure is reduced, and a higher introduced CO2 pressure is required to enable the beer to be pushed through the beer lines to the various bars, which would also cause overcarbonation of the beer, at which point the beer was chilled to 2'C with instantaneous beer coolers (temprites) at the ervig point.

Since then, beer has been recognised as a food product and needs to be stored below 5'C, and therefore different CO2,Nitro gas mixes were tried to prevent overcarbonation. This did not solve the problem of the beer sitting in the beer lines between the keg coolroom and bar, this beer would increase in temperature.

Over here now, everyone is converting to refrigerated glycol systems, which keep the beer chilled from the keg coolroom to the serving tap. Beer is now served into the glass at temperatures down to 1'C in some places. The drinkers demand the colder the better....