Smile Dehumidifiers and Rotary Compressors

I have recently done a little work for a flood restoration company that use quite a few dehumidifiers. I've been given a couple of units where the compressors are u/s - seized I think. I've spoken to the agents/manufacturers about replacement compressors, but in one case lead time is 1 month (Tecumseh made in Brazil and not available in Europe)and in the other case it seems very expensive (Matsu****a made in Japan.) Just realised that in the interests of good taste forum admin will not allow me to use correct name of manufacturer! Anyway, the parent company of Panasonic.

From Matu****a ident plate and using internet I can see its a 12cc compressor, with a bit of work I can probably do same with Tecumseh. I'm tempted to buy a similiar sized rotary compressor from SRW - Samsung 12.2 cc available for £120.00+vat.

My question is, a rotary compressors a rotary compressor isn't it? Triangular mounting plates all appear similar and I can check on port sizes - as long as they are R22 and 240 volt am I likely to notice any difference in performance if I more or less match compressor capacity?

Re: Dehumidifiers and Rotary Compressors

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    My question is, a rotary compressors a rotary compressor isn't it? Triangular mounting plates all appear similar and I can check on port sizes - as long as they are R22 and 240 volt am I likely to notice any difference in performance if I more or less match compressor capacity?

You should be fine.
    As long as you can phyicaly fit the comp into the space then I see no reason at all for not replacing with a compatible comp.

taz

Agree for 100% with Taz
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ok thanks gents, I didn't want to spend customer's money if I was overlooking something basic. It's my first time with dehumidifiers and these compressors and I'm just feeling my way.