^neo^ Guest

Podium steps...... anyone use them?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone here has any experience with using podium steps?
    I need to get a set for a job we have coming up so would like some feedback before i go out and buy a set!
    A friend of mine has a "pak flat podium" and reckons they're pretty good. Can't post a link but i've found them at pakflatpodium.co.uk

Anyone else recommend any good ones? Seen the Minit and Eiger 100 online too but they look a bit pricey for what they are

Any help greatly appreciated

Re: Podium steps...... anyone use them?

Why not hire them if its just for one job. If you are buying some it may be worth thinking about fibreglass ones if you will be doing electical work from them. A few places ive worked at recently will only allow fibreglass steps on site. Also they seem a bit expensive from that site, i'd shop around if i where you!
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 03-10-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: felt the need

^neo^ Guest

Thanks for the reply.

That is the cheapest set i've found on the web, ive seen the same set priced at over £450 too!

There is no problem with it not being GRP, and don't think i've actually seen any grp podiums.......... can get steps, ladders and towers but haven't come across a podium yet.

The trouble with hiring them is it's going to be quite a long job. Looked at speedy hire and they want £40 a day! Obviously get discounts for long term hire, but still not good!

They are 58 pound a week to hire from HSS, you should get some discount on this also. Hiring them means you won't have to worry about getting the tested etc and saves having to store them or lug them about in the van.
    Also if you put "cheap podium steps" into google, one of the first sites has some about a hundred pounds cheaper than the site in your post

Found some fibreglass one at

http://www.accesscaffinternational.com/Fibre_Glass.htm

May be an idea if you are working on electrics as is often the case with aircon cassettes etc, even when filter cleaning you could touch the metal case.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I've never used them but we did have a safety warning some time back about making sure that they are set up correctly otherwise they can collapse on you.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

The electricians used to use them to change lightbulbs on a site that i used to work at. Nifty bit of kit you can get the ones that fit through a door if you take off the extensions.

^neo^ Guest

Well, went out and hired one for the day last week.
    They hire shop had a few different ones in, but the pak flat was the best one i saw in there. The others i saw (Eiger and another i cant think of what it was) had lots of "bits" to stick together.
    It's all one piece so there's no bits to lose/ get nicked and had it set up in about 30 seconds!
    Went through a doorway as it was without having to fold it back down which was handy.
    Very impressed with it really.

Thanks for the input

I hope you're on commision from Pak flat you could get a job selling those things Probhably be much easier than the day job too

I'm sure they are the sort of thing that we'll all be using in a few years time what with elf n safety.

Jon

^neo^ Guest

Yeah, your right there Jon, H&S has gone ott the past few years.
    Usually takes longer to do the site induction and put on all your ppe than it does to do the job