Thread: Recruitment

Recruitment

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to gage every body’s thoughts of recruitment companies in the sector.

Any comments and suggestions on how we can improve our service to candidates and employers alike would be great.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Re: Recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo21 View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to gage every body’s thoughts of recruitment companies in the sector.

Any comments and suggestions on how we can improve our service to candidates and employers alike would be great.

Thanks in advance for your comments
    Hi Tomo

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Second, as an employer, the way you could help me is to reduce your extortionate charges to ZERO - that's the main and only reasoon why I won't even consider any links or offers from a recruitment company.

As a tech looking for work, I can't comment as 1) I've never used a recruitment company and 2) I never will. This is purely based on me never ever being out of work, and a move between employers in the past (prior to being an employer) was always based on discussions with peers and fellow techs.

I look forward to reading other members experiences.

Hi Tomo,

I agree with Frank, well almost, I wouldn't say zero, we all have to make a living but keep it reasonable. One agency approached us and wanted 50% of first years salary, you can guess where all CV from them ended up (un read I might add)

My main issue with recruitment agencies is that you never seem to listen.
    When I go through the trouble of writing a job spec I expect you to at least read it.
    What's normally happens is that after we sent an request out we get drowned by CVs, anything the agency can find will be sent out, regardless of how suitable the applicants are.
    Simple things, like we specifically ask for a person living west of London, say somewhere between London and Swindon, we still haven't found an agency not sending us CVs from people in Kent (for those of you not familiar with UK, Kent is east of London)

The agencies asks for ~£4k per job filled but the service we receive is little more than what the Royal Mail would provide (you get a CV/letter from one person and give it to another)

The best one yet was an agency, that should remain nameless on this (open) forum, who sent us a CV of the chap we just sacked, making the position vacant in the first place.

Then after I filled the position available, my inbox is forever filled with CV the agencies are spamming me with.

You want to improve things and earn your commission?
    -Listen to the employer and understand his needs.
    -Chose 4-5 persons that best fit his(hers) requirements and send their CVs over.
    -Ask the employer for two dates when interviews can be held and arrange for all the prospective employees to be there (on time).
    -Should none of the first lot fit the bill, then discuss with the employer what the amended requirements are.
    -After the position(s) have been filled, STOP SENDING CVs. A simple email once or twice a year, asking if you can be of further assistance, is plenty. If you gave me a good service, I will remember you.
    -When you get guys (gals) who doesn't perform well in interviews, take them in, train them, teach them how to be successful.

In the end of the day, with the average agency's fees of 15% of the first years earnings, you only need to place about 10 people per year to get the same earnings as the people you are getting jobs.
    So it should be more than just a postal service we are receiving.

(Sorry, I'm ranting again, ain't I)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

A couple of years back I put my CV onto a couple of the web based job sites and received, on the whole, a fair selection of job adverts which seemed related to my search list.

I enventually got two interviews through one agency. one fell through because the client didn't read my CV properly and the other three interviewees didn't turn up at all.

The second interview resulted in a job offer but I turned it down as my, then, employer changed direction and I decided to stay with them.

Since then the agency has kept in touch with me by 'phone about once every 5/6 months and the occasional job list through the post.

I was quite pleased with the way things went as far as the agent was concerned and would return to them if the need arose.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Don't worry Analog,

The boys in white will give you a CV after they take the jacket with the funny straps off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Hi Tomo,

I agree with Frank, well almost, I wouldn't say zero, we all have to make a living but keep it reasonable. One agency approached us and wanted 50% of first years salary, you can guess where all CV from them ended up (un read I might add)

My main issue with recruitment agencies is that you never seem to listen.
    When I go through the trouble of writing a job spec I expect you to at least read it.
    What's normally happens is that after we sent an request out we get drowned by CVs, anything the agency can find will be sent out, regardless of how suitable the applicants are.
    Simple things, like we specifically ask for a person living west of London, say somewhere between London and Swindon, we still haven't found an agency not sending us CVs from people in Kent (for those of you not familiar with UK, Kent is east of London)

The agencies asks for ~£4k per job filled but the service we receive is little more than what the Royal Mail would provide (you get a CV/letter from one person and give it to another)

The best one yet was an agency, that should remain nameless on this (open) forum, who sent us a CV of the chap we just sacked, making the position vacant in the first place.

Then after I filled the position available, my inbox is forever filled with CV the agencies are spamming me with.

You want to improve things and earn your commission?
    -Listen to the employer and understand his needs.
    -Chose 4-5 persons that best fit his(hers) requirements and send their CVs over.
    -Ask the employer for two dates when interviews can be held and arrange for all the prospective employees to be there (on time).
    -Should none of the first lot fit the bill, then discuss with the employer what the amended requirements are.
    -After the position(s) have been filled, STOP SENDING CVs. A simple email once or twice a year, asking if you can be of further assistance, is plenty. If you gave me a good service, I will remember you.
    -When you get guys (gals) who doesn't perform well in interviews, take them in, train them, teach them how to be successful.

In the end of the day, with the average agency's fees of 15% of the first years earnings, you only need to place about 10 people per year to get the same earnings as the people you are getting jobs.
    So it should be more than just a postal service we are receiving.

(Sorry, I'm ranting again, ain't I)
    Thanks for your feedback. I don’t want to big myself up but I agree with your approach and always get slots then only put 3 or 4 people in. I don’t believe in putting people in front of you or sending you CV's of guys/gals who just aren't going to get the job. It’s a complete waste of time. Unfortunately there are a lot of 'recruiters' out there who operate the mud against the wall approach - if you throw enough some will stick!! It’s in my interest to provide a good service and good candidates, who are well prepped and interested. Because having a good client is so much better than trying to find one.

Any way thanks to those who replied as I said any constructive criticism is always welcome.

Just a bit of marketing - I am now advertising on the job board if anyone is looking. If you don’t see anything of interest feel free to drop me a line and I can see if we have anything on the books of interest.

Thanks

Tom

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Thanks Tom.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015