Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking about the inexperienced getting hurt - one of our young apprentices was seriously burned yesterday with a bottle of R410a. Right arm, wrist and all of his right hand. Stuff went straight through his clothing and he ended up in A & E.

The new gauges were so tight on the manifold that when he was trying to purge tthe line before charging the system nothing would come out of the line connection, so he loosened the connection to the bottle to see if the refrigerant was coming out of the bottle. Because the bottle was upside down for liquid charging, when the pressure of the liquid (10bar standing) burst the line from the connector all hell broke loose. As he paniced he attempted to close the bottle valve quickly and got burnt in the process. It wasn't a nice sight!

Now - he's trained to handle refrigerants (by the college) - but he lacks experience. No doubt he's now learnt another valuable lesson, certainly one that he will never forget but I just wish that he had been able to learn in some other safer way.

And don't forget - R410a is not even explosive like Propane

Im only planning to use propane for testing my portable cooler. Once i know everything is working, i will crack open the service port and move like the wind. Nobody will sell me R22 in cans less than 30lbs. Im hoping i can find a refridgerator that still holds its full charge and evacuate it. Ive found a nice bottle to put refridgerants in, (old Co2 fire extinuisher, 11lb charge). i think its supposed to hold up to 4000psi. the walls of it are nearly 2" thick of steel. I now have an evacuation pump ready, now all i have to do is get some flared fittings, a service port, and a dryer to put this together.
    one mans trash is another mans treasure

Hi abcdfg1675
    you are still missing the point. Legally to work at refrigeration equip you require proper training and certification. Further training and certification is required to work on Hydrocarbons i.e Propane. I personally have all the usually training and a few other beside. I can not work legally on propane, I need to take the correct handling course. All this training is not just to foul things up, it serves a purpose, keeping people safe.
    If you use Propane, I assure you you will have an accident.
    Stop now before you spend a spell in hospital.

If you are really interested in refrigeration, start a reconised apprentiship, you will receive the necessary training and become compontent, without hopefully endangering yourself or other.
    Kind Regards. Andy

i could really care less what is legal and what isnt. i could also care less if i ended up in the hostpital.. anything would make me happy to get me away from home.

Good Lord!

Alphabet, the members of this discussion group are responsible professionals. Your last comment embarrasses me.

There are many people such as those who offered thoughtful consideration to the original question who do not necessarily treasure trash.
    Last edited by Dan; 12-04-2003 at 02:15 AM.

you people seemed very worried. i should have mentioned that someone else is helping me with this project, whos been a refridgeration and automotive technition for 45 years. and if you cant tell, im not having a good day today, equipment around the house and shop is dropping like flies...

Ive decided to cancel this project. I dont really want to waste my money on this, but, i am starting yet another project involving a mini fridge, and my 3/4hp scroll compressor, and 60$.

this time, i will have to pay someone to charge the refridgerator with the refridgerant i need. theirs no way i can get it otherwise.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...&threadid=1119 for those who are slighly interested, or just bored.

kev427 Guest

Re: use liquid petrolium gas instead of R12 ????

i would bet the dime you have left.that you have a superheat issue from your hair dryer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12