Thread: high amp draw

high amp draw

hey everyone, I'm a newbie so go easy on me, delfield reach-in was tripping OL,very old box no rating on the compressor, installed 3-in-1 hard start, worked great, got a call month later, same problem, everything else checked out so i assumed it was time to retire the 14 yo compressor, put in its replacement a ARE43C3-IAA-901. recharged to factory specs (30 oz.) runs great, but noticed a bit of flood-back right before it kicks off on pressure ( ok no big deal ) then i decided to check the amps, were at 7.3ish! Not too clear on the amp/charge relation, would an overcharge cause the high amps?

Re: high amp draw

An overcharge could cause a higher amp draw.

If it's overcharged the discharge pressure will go up and the compressor will have to push harder to get the gas out and resulting in a higher amp draw.

[quote=jstch00tme;77758]so i assumed it was time to retire the 14 yo compressor, put in its replacement a ARE43C3-IAA-901. recharged to factory specs (30 oz.) runs great, but noticed a bit of flood-back right before it kicks off on pressure quote]

If the old comp was 14 years old, what gas was it on?
    If you have replaced R12 for R134a then chargeing the system to the same weight may cause the problem.
    If the gas was just a straight replacement (like for like) then I would look to the size of the comp.
    Is the comp exactly the same size?
    I would not worry too much.

taz

TAZ you have a point i forgot all about!, The Box plate has a date of 1993, the plate has the charge weight on it but not the type, below that is a r-22 sticker (looks as old as the plate) so i never thought about another gas I just asumed r-22 was the original design.

no the compessor is not (physicaly) the same size but its specs are, the new one is physicaly smaller by a bout 1/4 of the original. I waited for an hr. and everything checked out, but that amp draw has me thinking im going to get another call a month from now! I looked at copeland's spec sheet for this compressor and they list two diff. ratings for the exact model a med. temp rating of 5.7amps and a high temp rating of 7.1amps. is this aplication concidered high temp? its a cooler not a freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by jstch00tme View Post
    and a high temp rating of 7.1amps. is this aplication concidered high temp? its a cooler not a freezer.
    I would think so.
    If that is what the manufacturer recomends then I would not be unduly worried.

As for the plate with the gas saying R22 I imagine that is the right one.
    You have to go by what you've got and if the plate looks original then more than likely it will be.

Cheers taz.

Hello mate check the run capacitor, if it not working properly the compressor will pull high amps roughly about 3 amps