Thread: Semi-hermetic

Semi-hermetic

Soap bubble test shows leak on semi-hermetic compressor. (oil also present)The bubbles form at the bolt head (not at the gasket joint) on the plate that I assume is the cover plate for the crankshaft oil seal. Tried tightening bolts a small amount to no avial. I would expect to see a leak at the gasket union and not out from under the bolt head. Has anyone experienced this as well?

Thanks in advace.

Re: Semi-hermetic

2 options as far as I can see.

1. Gasket defect by bolt hole.
    2. Cracked casing.

I would get the gasket and take the cover off to have a look, if the original gasket looks OK when you take it off then check the casing with penetrating oil if you can't see a crack.

Thanks for the reply Viking. Couple of further questions. First, of gasket makeup. It would probably be quicker for me to make one than order a gasket. (one parts house in town and they are slim on parts) Are there any requirements for the gasket material that I need to be aware of?
    Second question would be the chances of the bolt hole when tapped at the factory went too deep and is penatrating where it should not leaking as such. I know, worst case scenerio but I'm curious.
    Thanks

I have seen the tapping being too deep, but not in any standard and reputable compressor. It may happen on non standard compressors. In all possibility, the gasket is defective and needs replacement.

IF the hole is too deep (but I never seen this) then some PTFE around the thread would sort it.

Hi The Viking,

There are some local compressor manufacturers. You have to see to believe it. They are selling their compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by AzRob View Post
    Soap bubble test shows leak on semi-hermetic compressor. (oil also present)The bubbles form at the bolt head (not at the gasket joint) on the plate that I assume is the cover plate for the crankshaft oil seal. Tried tightening bolts a small amount to no avial. I would expect to see a leak at the gasket union and not out from under the bolt head. Has anyone experienced this as well?

Thanks in advace.
    I've seen several of those. Here is what I did to solve the problem. I took the bolt out, clean both mating part with brake fluid (spay type), apply silcone, reassemble, let it sit & dry for 4 hour, then evacuate and recharge. works good for me.
    Be Happy

If indeed the bold is leaking you can use one of the materials mentioned in the previous posts, but be carefull in using silicon because some of the oils don't like them.

Futhermore you can only use PTFE tape if it's a R22 compressor, for the rest a good tread sealer like loctite 577 is the best option, but the tread must be clean and oil free!

Got a better look at the leak today. For one thing, its leaking between the gasket and block up into the bolt hole in the cover and on out toward the bolt head. Chances are it would not leak if the bolt was not stripped! ...ie could be tightened down properly. Shes getting a new gasket and a helicoil job. Thanks all for your replies about this.