Chicken freezing.

We have done a trolley freezer for a chicken processing factory. The capacity is 12 tons per hour freezing. We noted that when the product is Vaccum packed chicken parts, the freezing capacity is almost 16 tons, but when the 9 piece cut chicken ( i.e 9 parts of the chicken body ) are packed in a plastic bag, there is a lot of air in the bag. ( this goes fro KFC outlets) & the capacity comes down to almost 8 tons per day. The client cant do vacuum packing for these items.

It there any way of increasing the capacity, say putting holes on the platic bag- so that the air does not act as insulation & when the cold air passes over the bag, gets carried away due to pressure differential.

Or any other way?

Re: Chicken freezing.

Hello smpsmp45,
    Could you please intimate the evap. temp. and also is it a Blast Freezer or a Cold Room.

It is a blast freezer & evap temp is -40 deg C

Why not freeze the chicken then put it in the bags

I agree with HallsEngineer. It makes more sense to freeze the raw product, rather than one in a plastic bag. The trapped air in the bag acts as an insulator, which drastically reduces the volume of product to be frozen in the same time period.

In fact, it is reducing your production almost 50%.

Why not move the bagging operation so that it occurs after freezing?
    If all else fails, ask for help.

We have suggested this to the client as well.

The issue for them, is to identify all the 9 pieces after freezing & again packing them.

We had also suggested to use pan freezing i.e. put all the nine parts in one pan & freeze the open product & then pack this pan into plastic pouch.

I was just considering if anyone has done a similar project for KFC & what system has been adopted.?

Dear smpsmp45,

I have been trying to figure it out. The best possible solution is to have chicken being frozen in open condition and then to repack the same. For freezing of chicken you need to have a temperature of -20oC. In case you desire to extend the shelf life you can have it MAP packed.

I am still trying to find a solution, but do not think there is any.

I checked out Ashrae on this. They also specify that it should not be packed with air. But It is being supplied to KFC & the packing has been specified by KFC itself. Unless I get some solid document on this, the issue can not be taken up with KFC.

Dear smpsmp45,

As you said that Ashrae specifies that it should not be packed with air, I think that is the solid document you have. I shall try to get some documents for you tomorrow.

Dear smpsmp45,

I just found some details about chicken standards. As the file is big, I am giving the link below from where you could download the pdf file. Maybe this contains some information of use to you.

http://www.unece.org/trade/agr/stand...ublication.pdf

Dear Mr. Samarjit Sen,

Many thanks. I think this should help.

HI, smpsmp45

Quote Originally Posted by smpsmp45 View Post
    We have done a trolley freezer for a chicken processing factory. The capacity is 12 tons per hour freezing. We noted that when the product is Vaccum packed chicken parts, the freezing capacity is almost 16 tons, but when the 9 piece cut chicken ( i.e 9 parts of the chicken body ) are packed in a plastic bag, there is a lot of air in the bag. ( this goes fro KFC outlets) & the capacity comes down to almost 8 tons per day. The client cant do vacuum packing for these items.

It there any way of increasing the capacity, say putting holes on the platic bag- so that the air does not act as insulation & when the cold air passes over the bag, gets carried away due to pressure differential.

Or any other way?
    I'm not an expert for chicken freezing, but...

if your client wants to increase production then must reconsider the way of freezing....i.e. freezing in small pans (polystyrene) and vacuum pack after freezing or to put all 9 parts in one plastic bag vacuuming and then freeze it...

...each way request some invest i.e. reducing of profit if they cannot increase the price of final product/pack...here we come to the point where your/our clients ask for the best product which will cost the less...

Maybe is not bad idea to speak again with your client all about...and maybe to convince them as you said before...

Quote Originally Posted by smpsmp45
    We have suggested this to the client as well.

The issue for them, is to identify all the 9 pieces after freezing & again packing them.

We had also suggested to use pan freezing i.e. put all the nine parts in one pan & freeze the open product & then pack this pan into plastic pouch.

I was just considering if anyone has done a similar project for KFC & what system has been adopted.?
    ...our life is full of compromises the same is our work, we cannot get everything and give nothing...

I do realize this is not an answer to your question, but we are not here only to listen wishes and fulfill them....sometimes we have to cut the Gordian Knot..

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Finally we took the client to our other sites to see the practical aspects. There he was convinced that by freezing in pouches with Air in it, means spending more power plus more time to achienve the desired results. Even the earlier client had tried to do the same ( i.e.freezing in plastic pouches) & he could explain his practical experience. & now the client is going back to KFC on this issue to change the packing & has agreed to freeze without air in the pouches.

Hi Josip,

You are absolutely correct. To satisfy the client who is not aware of the details and to get the job, we compromise on the work, and then it is we who has to suffer.