Door protection for cold store doors.

Are there any standrd methods for putting up these door protection frames. Every time we are coming up with new idea & new designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Door protection for cold store doors.

We use something similar ...
    prevent teh forklift from damaging the doors.

You might try using a concrete curb cast into the floor to provide some additional protection. The curb would have to be far enough from the door (in any direction) to prevent the forklift forks or wheels from coming into contact with the door.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

smpsmp45
    I think it is a very importat part of a freezer

The Door Protecction is the kind of thing that fall between mechanic and construction engineers and nobody do well.

Depend the doors size, those could be made from 3",4" 6"and 8" sch 40 pipe .The frame should be 1 inch smaller than the door passway.

If the cold store is positive tempersture you could introduce (bury) it deep in the floor in order to have good mechanics resistence again the forklift crach and also make a curb.
    But if you have a negative temperature you also can insert it deep in the floor taking in acount you have an isolated floor . So you have to take care of the vapor barrier. Also it is recomended that the underneath heating system pass very close to the end of the pipe of door protection in order to reduce the cold bridge. Some time we use a heating pad inside the pipe to keep it warmer avoiding icing on it
    The pipe should be hot galvanized and painted with poliuretane or epoxy products according the trafic rules.
    Regards
    Gwapa

Hi, smpsmp45

Quote Originally Posted by smpsmp45 View Post
    Are there any standrd methods for putting up these door protection frames. Every time we are coming up with new idea & new designs.
    Yes, I have to admit that too, but the second one I see for the first time in my life..LOL

Both bollards/protection frames are not the best...why?

because there must be a frame all around door opening (both sides and on the top) both outside and inside of the room (but smaller then door opening) and in front of open doors but lower as on your first photo..it is not a question to protect the doors only, but the door frame too...unfortunately I do not have any photo to upload for you to see..

Inside the cold room along all panel walls we have concrete wall of 300-500 mm high...for protection (of too fast fork lift's drivers - they have to be fast to do all in less time, or to look for another job ), the same must be for doors and door frames...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

We do provide the curb wall as well as mentioned from inside / outide. One more issue I have noted is that the inside Protection frame is critical if you have racking system & the distance between the door frame & the post member has to be arrived considering the rackign member clearance. I have seen in some cases, the first racking space became to close to the post member & was to be redone once again. Is any one using chemical bolt assembly for grouting these frames? In some cases even Concrete is poured in the pipe sections. All the time we face consultants who come out with new ideas.

My good client who owned a refrigerated warehouse started painting targets on his doors they were hit so often. I think he tried all of the above, but the doors them selves still get hit everyday it seems. The speed and quality of the drivers is the main problem

regards
    bruce

That is also true. The drivers are the major cause & concern,. We have come across very funny situations inspite of all possible protection devices being used.