I took a call from a customer who is having compressor trouble on a train. The train gets its power from the third rail. The third rail is inside the track next to the right rail. The rail is 600vac three phase. It’s a six cylinder Carrier compressor motor driven. I don’t know the model number. When the compressor is first started the train is not moving and the foot is in full contact with the third rail. The compressor is started unloaded to get the motor up to speed. When the compressor reaches full compression the A/C system works great. NOW FOR THE PROBLEM: When the train is moving the third rail has gaps in it and the train loses power for about 5 seconds. All other power devises are 24vdc and use batteries to keep running. When the compressor loses power there is a 14 second delay before the motor re-energizes. The motor re-energizes and the compressor is still loaded. The motor reaches LRA and trips the breaker. There can’t be a longer delay between power. There is a 5-14 second delay only. Is a capacitor bank possible? Is there such a thing as electrical unloader? Smaller compressors inline maybe? I heard that the compressors need over ten minutes to unload on there own. Any help will be great.
This is my first time. Please let me know if more info is need