Thread: Servicing Costs

Question Servicing Costs

Hi Chaps.

Just wondering, what do you guys charge for an annual service for wall mounted splits. We charge around £125 per unit but have heard other companies vary from between £40 to £295 per split? Any thoughts or advice greatfully recieved.

Re: Servicing Costs

Quote Originally Posted by gwilliamson View Post
    Hi Chaps.

Just wondering, what do you guys charge for an annual service for wall mounted splits. We charge around £125 per unit but have heard other companies vary from between £40 to £295 per split? Any thoughts or advice greatfully recieved.
    Hi
    In our area they take from 80 to 120 € per split..
    rgds
    cool#9

£125 per unit would be too much for my area, I base mine on how long it will take for a small split, usually 1 hour will give me enough time to remove the plastic covers on a wall mount, clean plastics inside and out, clean coil, check drain and reassemble, clean outside unit with coil cleaner and polish unit with car polish and run test, cassettes may take a little longer if you need to remove the fan blade for for coil cleaning and drain pan removal.

As the bulk of mine are local I charge my normal local "attendance fee", so for a wall mount I will probably charge about £55 + VAT.

Thanks all, does anyone else have any ideas on suitable prices? Do you think it should differ from Commercial to Domestic?

Quote Originally Posted by gwilliamson View Post
    Thanks all, does anyone else have any ideas on suitable prices? Do you think it should differ from Commercial to Domestic?
    This is what constitutes a " suitable price"

You have an hourly rate, it could range anything from £15 to £30 per hour and more.......

The rates vary according to where you are.

Then you work out how many hours it takes to service that unit.

Assuming it takes two.

So its 2 x your hourly rate

What Im trying to get at , is the above represents the formula.

The reality is the market forces within your market. London prices will differ from other areas.

There is no such thing as a set price.

Another thing that must be considered is what does the customer expect a service to include? I have been to units that are so full of black mouldy stinking crap it would have taken me half a day to strip the entire unit down and clean. If the unit has been regularly serviced then £55 is a fair price. I try to get my customers on an annual package to keep the unit clean but the first visit is almost always a bad one. If they just want a one off service then I reason that the unit hasn't been looked at for a while and is giving them a problem, so I charge accordingly
    Karl

I agree Karl, if I have installed it and serviced it from new I know what standard it is going be, if I go to a new customer I will check out the machine first to determine what state it is in first and decide how much the first visit will cost to get it up to my spec, all visits after that will be slightly cheaper ......... if I am feeling generous.

Something to bear in mind when building up your prices/charges, the difference between servicing one single unit at a site, and servicing two units, is not (normally) a factor of x2.

Naturally, there is some cost in getting to/from the site, which would be added to the first system.

For example....

1st system: one hour on site + 1-2 hr travel.
    2nd system: +one hour (say)
    3rd System, +one hour (say)
    At some point there is a full day charge (maybe a half-day charge) that would come into play. And, on larger sites, returning the second day to continue would begin again, for example:

10th system: one hour on site + 1-2 hr travel.
    11th system: +one hour on site.

VRF systems might be similar, based on number of Room Units, plus condensers, plus central controllers.

It all fits together with how much you can do in one day, your hourly rate, travel costs, etc, of course.

Hope that helps sort it out.

In, Spain, I charge 70€ for a single wall mount split then 50€ for any others, they are normaly all domestic and their is normaly 3 or more units, you strugle to get much more out here for servicing.

cool flake Guest

Its nice to see Koy that we are charging about the same, our rates are normally 75euro for a single split and then about 50euro per system/hour. As for ducted systems we price per job, as some of the installs we see are awful to say the least!!!

ps this is my first post and still finding my way about the site and what i have seen so far very impressed....