Thread: No!!

No!!

Took the cover off an electical box today to find that the previous "engineer" had sprayed graphite grease in it presumably to stop condensation etc.

ITS CONDUCTIVE AARGHH

Re: No!!

so thats what them rubber gloves are for in my mates van
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Had a scary one yesterday. A self-contained Hussmann glass 2-door reach-in. Previous call, two weeks ago and the fans were not running. My tech found traces but could not pin down a leak in the evaporator. He added an ounce or two and condemned the termination/fan delay klixon, replacing it and the fans came on.

Yesterday, another tech on the same case finds it iced up. He carefully condemns the defrost timer, puts the case into defrost and fetches a replacement which takes an hour or so. The ice is melted and he switches the timer from defrost to refrigeration mode and a red fireball blows the glass doors open and melts most of the plastice things inside the case. The acidic vapors were so strong that we evacuated the store and opened up all ventilation. The refrigerant is R404A. I checked the wiring diagram and found no safety thermostat in the circuit, which surprised me.

We are still sorting it out. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. Of course, I am wondering... did my earlier tech fail to get the correct termination klixon, or hook it up incorrectly?... Does a Paragon 8145 timer fail to terminate defrost when it is locked up?... Was it irresponsible (in retrospect) to put this case in defrost for so long?.. and on and on.

As I learn, I will share. All I can say for now is "Whew."

that's a long defrost...heat...

Some thing doesn't sound right! even if the evap defrost didn't terminate all you should be left with is a soded coil, not a low yeild bomb!

ever see a compressor cylinder head blow through a workshop roof? hehe, my boss once told me that in days gone by, a mate of his closed off the discharge service valve on a thermo king xmt and without thinking let the thing run...... end result, a huge gaping hole where there shouldve been a piece of roof anda missing comp cylinder head.

One question though..... when i first started in refrigeration, we used to cut open the driers that we took of systems in order to determine the amount of carbon etc. in a system. One particular day we cut one open that came off an old carrier thunderbird, it was an R12 system that had a leak on the compressor. after we fixed the leak we installed a new drier and as per usual cut open the old one, set it down on the workbench and within a couple of minutes it started to burn without any reason whatsoever!!!! freaky hey.... no one that i have come across has ever experienced something like it.

if you put any amount of moisture or water into a drier, the resulting heat would blow your mind. After a basic container training class, me and all the wiz kids decided to do exactly what the instructor told us not to. We clamped a new drier in a vise and poured water into it. All I can really say about the insuing disaster is wow, I never thought something could get so hot.