introduction and question

hi folks, my name is mike, im new to the forum, and i would like to say hi. i recently graduated from a refrigeration course and will be trying to get a universal certification on my 608. (side note) (just because i graduated my course does not necessarily imply that ive learned anything). so i might ask some stupid questions.
    ive been poking around the forum and i cant seem to find any info on using propane as a refrigerant. i found a P-T chart online, but thats about all so far (i had the link to the p-t chart in here but i cant post links yet, sorry)
    from what i understand, it is used more widely in europe than america and im wondering if anyone in the forum could offer some applications and other general requirements such as what kind of oil to use etc.
    any web links or literature would be greatly appreciated.
    a little about me,,,,,,
    i was a carpenter (self employed) for 27 yrs and my body kinda started falling apart, so i got out of the trades and opened a small restaurant/bar with my brother. we have been open for 4 yrs and things are going well. ive always been pretty good at fixing things, and god knows, there is plenty of stuff to fix when you own a bar. so,,, the short version of this story is that i decided to go for my certification in hvacr to be able to fix my own stuff (and, of course, my moms ac) and to be able to design my own coolers.
    i need some experience and with the help of you kind folks, some good advice.

thanks in advance,
    mike

Re: introduction and question

Hello Mike

Welcome from across the pond.

Jon

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Mike and a big welcome to the forum.

I'm always impressed by people who make a large change of direction either by choice or force.

I haven't touched propane or the like myself, apart from that mixed in with blends but if this is any help with information then please try....
    (Care = trade name in UK for HC refrigerants)
    http://www.care-refrigerants.co.uk/
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Welcome from Belgium.
    Regarding working characteristics, you can compare propane very well with the old R12.
    But why using propane, so flammable and explosive when
    used in 'bigger quantities'
    Stick with the well proves gasses.

For a small domestic fridge..OK.
    Oil is mineral oil.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

thanks for the hello's, and thanks for the info. since my original post, i found the (search) button on this forum "duh", and found alot of info.
    its not that im stuck on propane, but more interested in its properties and types of uses. after reading some of the links on this forum, i realize that i probably cant use it anyways. should i ever have any type of problem in my restaurant (even if its unrealated to a propane system), my insurance company would give me the boot.
    but that doesnt mean i cant build one for my garage. in the meantime, i will try to keep my questions to more standard refrigerants. ( i doubt that i would be able to find a source for pure propane in the states).
    one of the projects i would like to work on is building a very small, wall hung, cooled cabinet. my original idea was to use thermoelectric modules (i bought a bunch of em on ebay) while these will work, the wattage draw seems cost prohibitive compared to standard refrigeration. that idea is not out of the question right now,, but ive been looking for a source for some very small compressors and coils. i did just pick up some small condensor coils (10"x6"x2.5")(i think they are replacements for the coil in a recovery unit).
    i would ask the group,,,, what is the smallest compressor or condensing unit that you have seen out there? i spose something along the lines of a apartment sized refrigerator, or a 5000 btu ac, might be what im looking for. oh,, at this point, the design would be a medium temp unit, although i do have plans for building a small unit that would keep very close to 33 or 34 deg F, for keeping fresh meats.
    thanks again,
    mike

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Are these small wall hung cabinets to be individual ones for sale ?

Or do you want to have several around the same place?

If it is several then think about having a single condensing unit serving several small evaporators. Common design and in frequent use worldwide.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

brian, i thought about using a single condensing unit. at this point,, i would design some boxes for my own use. at some point,, i thought i might be able to market them. the idea being,, if you build a designer house,, you are pretty much stuck with a plain old refrigerator. in a foo foo kitchen, you might want a small upper cabinet for chilling wine, perhaps another unit that would be designed expresslly for keep fruits and veggies, and so on. retrofitting a house for a remote condensing unit might prove too costly. easier to design a standalone unit that could be tweaked for each individual application. again,, the concept of marketing these is way down the line for me. my concern right now, is to find a workable design and see what sort of problems i run into.
    thanks,
    mike