Thread: About R 507

About R 507

Hi Everybody & thank you Jon

The following is the extract from the DuPont site with regard to the R 507.

“DuPont R-507 will maintain a very consistent composition if leakage occurs in a refrigeration system, which means that operating performance, will remain consistent following leakage/recharge cycles. As with all mixtures, we recommend that the liquid phase be removed from the storage cylinder to minimize composition changes when charging. DuPont R-507 should not be mixed with any other refrigerant when charging, recycling, recovering or reclaiming”.

I have practical experience on a leaking R 404a system. After detecting the leak and repairing it, I could not get the original performance after topping up with R 404a. The room temperature went up by 20 deg C. As this was my first R 404a system and on the instructions from the compressor manufacturer I fully evacuated the balance refrigerant and charged with fresh R 404a liquid, and immediately the performance came back to normal and working at Te -35 deg C.

As such I want to change all my equipments to R507. Please let me know about you practical experience on R507.

Suny

Re: About R 507

r404a = r507 with r134a added. ie r404a is more a zeotrpoic blend than r507. The two base compounds are the same for each of them, but for some unknown reason r404a has r134a added.
    I do a lot of work on commercial kitchens with 3-4kg charges, and only bother carrying r507 in my van. I've never had a problem on such small systems topping up with r507.

I have replaced all equipment under our Preventive Maintenance which have the r404 charge with the 507 refrigerant as i have noticed that the r404 is very prone to leakage and is not advisable to add up when theres a leakage on the system.

Paul H & Philip

Thank you for your comments. I am going to replace R 404a with R 507. The mfg’s agent advised me to use the same TEV for R 507. Any comments on this will be appreciated.

Suny

Hi Suny,
    Yes the TEV is good for both R404a and R507. I always use 507 where possible.

Thank you Electrocoolman. The system is working perfectly.

Suny