Hybrid View

High Side Pressure is ...

I got this service call the other day. It was a 2ton keeprite ultraquiet residential a/c system. The complaint was that the A/C doesnt shut off and runs continiously. On my inspection the pressure were a litttle low, and condenser unit was very dirty. So i topped up the refrigerant and cleaned the condenser coil.
    The pressure on low side was 70psi and High Side 160Psi. with R22 refrigerant and temperature outside was about 88F. I dont know why the high side pressure is too low? Any idea as to why the high side pressure lines feel cold and has low pressure?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: High Side Pressure is ...

Did you do a leak test before 'topping up'?

Is the compressor pumping correctly?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

If we take a step back.....

Did you connect your gauges to the service ports on the outside side of the outdoor unit?
    Were both pipes lagged?(sorry never worked on these units)

If the answer to both these questions is YES, then you measured an intermediate pressure and not a true HP.

Quote Originally Posted by SULTAN View Post
    I got this service call the other day. It was a 2ton keeprite ultraquiet residential a/c system. The complaint was that the A/C doesnt shut off and runs continiously. On my inspection the pressure were a litttle low, and condenser unit was very dirty. So i topped up the refrigerant and cleaned the condenser coil.
    The pressure on low side was 70psi and High Side 160Psi. with R22 refrigerant and temperature outside was about 88F. I dont know why the high side pressure is too low? Any idea as to why the high side pressure lines feel cold and has low pressure?
    It sounds the system has leakage, both the low-side and high-side pressure are low. It can also deduced from the low values of the condensing and evaporating temperatures 80.71F and 30F although the condenser was fouled and the ambient temperature is above the condensing temperature. So it is better to check the leakage matter firstly?.

Hi, could be a leaking reversing valve, 70psi could be high depending o room temp.

i would recomend that you check if the compressor pumping efficiently, and verify that there are no leaks.