Shop refrigeration design solution needed!

Hi all

Have been asked to quote for air con in a big farm shop. It has at least 20 air cooled display cabinets / freezers all heating the space up and a small-ish cold store.

Customer has mentioned he might have the refrigeration re-designed / installed and I would be interested to find out what you think his best options are?

Thanks to all !

Re: Shop refrigeration design solution needed!

A local farm shop has chosen an evaporative cooling system, have yet to see it running so can't comment on how it works but was cheaper than conventional splits. Farmers love cheap.

If he is thinking of a refit i think Daikin do a combined vrv air con and fridge system which is cheaper to run, uses waste heat from the fridges to heat the place in cooler weather.

jon

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

It would be more economical in the long run to redesign/modify the existing cooling plant to provide external condensers I would think.

The option of installing ventilation or air conditioning adds more problems and increases running costs.

It may be possible, if required, to utilise the waste heat from the cooling plant to provide reheated water or air for other areas/uses.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

20 air cooled display units? 20 doors? 40 doors? You can calculate the cooling load that the self-contained equipment consumes simply by looking at the kw rating of each box and factoring in some runtime factor. Your need to provide more details. It is possible that you could justify remote refrigeration for the equipment if we were clearer on the details.

Ventilation or evaporitive cooling may be viable additions to the environment. Is the space too hot only in the summer? I would volunteer that you should remote the self-contained equipment if possible, but that really depends on how much you have.