Thread: txv

MRCOOL Guest

Cool txv

i was working on a dough retarder with a gravity coil, the txv losted its charge and needed to be replace , it was 1/2 ton valve with a 1/2 ton condensing unit , i couldn t get that valve that day so i put in a 1/4 ton valve,(temp) before i put it in i checked the capacity of the txv and it was .35 ton at a 20F coil and the condensing unit was about 3700 btu at 20F coil, can i leave this txv in there the unit was working fine , i really dont like to do things like this.

Based on your numbers, you shouldn’t have any problems, particularly if your head pressures remain at their current levels or greater. This looks like on of those “borderline” TEV sizing applications, and the OEM probably went with the ˝ ton valve to be safe.
    Prof Sporlan

One thing that I've learned, recently...... is I am stocking my trucks with thermostatic elements, and TEV inlet strainers.... the elements will rust out, and the "ALCO" driers will fall apart. In most instances, merely replacement of the element, or replacing the inlet screen (because when it gets plugged it's usually trash) will take care of the job....

The valve is STILL GOOD..... just the screen or the element is bad!!!

Power Elements

Hi, Herefishy
    nice to see your are still out there.
    Most of the equipment I work on has Danfoss expansion valves, the story is the same, mostly change the power element and in the smaller valves the strainer can be cleaned and you have a valve as good as new. The oriface gives little trouble, although if it has been wrongly assembled the adjust wheel will have been bent leaving no way of adjusting the superheat. In a case such as this you can strip the oriface assembly and easily straighten the wheel, again as good as new.
    I keep power elements and gaskets only, this is all I ever need.
    Regards. Andy.