possum Guest

Question Portable Refrigeration Air Conditioner Units

Hello everyone,

Any thoughts on how effective portable refrigerated air conditioning units really are?

We cant afford to purchase a split system unit at the moment, so was just wondering if as an alternative temporary solution whether a portable unit would do the job untill we can afford to purchase a good split system unit.

Thank-you for any info you could provide.
    Muchly appreciated,
    love
    possum

Re: Portable Refrigeration Air Conditioner Units

In my point of view, the portable AC is not effective if it is working as cooler. From thermodynamic fundamentals the heat rejection is larger than the cooling capacity by adding to it the compressor equivalent heat input. And in the portable AC application the condenser has to expel it heat in the same place the cooler works. So the cooling effect is attenuated or negated by the heat rejection. However, the portable is effective in case using as a dehumidifier only without any duty for sensible cooling and this in cold climates in summer conditions. The portable dehumidifier can adjust the indoor humidity at 60% and the supply air temperature 26.7°C (i.e. the air has not any ability to carry over any sensible cooling load). Here in the portable dehumidifier, the condenser heat is essential to reheat the cold air off the evaporator as viewed in the attached file. In hot and humid countries the portable cooler has no any effect because there is sensible load in conjunction with latent load.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Portable Refrigeration Air Conditioner Units

Portables only work in small rooms. Plus the price they want for them makes it almost as much as the equivalent cheap kmart split fully installed.
    I wouldn't touch one unless renting, (meaning I couldn't drill holes in the wall), and even then I'd prefer a window mount RAC.