Freezing Fresh Green Shelled Peas

I require informations on freezing of fresh green shelled peas. What is the freezing temperature required and what is the shelf life. Any more information shall be highly appreciated.

Re: Freezing Fresh Green Shelled Peas

Hi Samarjit San, It would be about 15 years ago we stoped our green veg lines. But we used to freeze peas for 24 hrs a day for about 6 to 8 weeks a year. The plant we used at the time was two Frigoscandia 110w flowfreezers and a Hardy lucas belt freezer. The system was run on a two stage Ammonia at -42oC at the low side compressor suction and -10oC on the high side suction. Time in the freezers was about 13 to 19 mins. in the flowfreezers at about 4 tons per hr. The belt freezer was rated at 9 tons per hr. on peas. Exit temp. of the peas was from -18 to -25oC and then into the coldstore at -28oC untill it was sent away to be packed at an other site. Max time in coldstore's would be one year.
    Arthur.

Thank you aawood1 for the information. Since you have been in this field, could you please also give me an idea as to what should be the dimensions of the Cold Store to hold 600 MT of Shelled Peas and the temperature and humidity requirement.

Mr Sen, SIR:

I just sent you information concerning the newest technology for CA storage as per Your request. Hope that the way of sending you a personal message, "TOOK". (PA DUTCH)..

I recommend you ask "HEATCRAFT.com" for their latest engineering manual. They are copying the old "DUNHAM BUSH"(tm) manuals. They, DUNHAM BUSH, were always reguarded as the "BIBLE" of the cold storage industry here in USA.

Respectfully,
    John

Samarjit, could you please share what you have learned from the generous advisements of AAwood and John with the forum? I enjoy your questions and further enjoy how you assimilate your advice into thoughtful action. Thanks, AA and John for your contributions. This is good stuff.

Dear Dan,

I shall definately share whatever I keep learning about the various application. I like this forum only for this. Everybody contributes and shares their knowledge and that is how we learn.

The manufacturers of IQF and Spiral Freezers have reccommended the use of Flow Freezers. I am awaiting some informations from these people which I shall put up in the forum.

Now food freezing and fresh fruit and vegetable freezing is picking up. Even pre cooked foods are being frozen. The required core temperature of freezing is - 18 to - 22oC. To achieve this flow freezers should go through a chamber where the temperature is -40oC.

SIR:

We here in the USA must have our professional "credentials" on our person.

It has been over 24 hrs. since I sent you that personal information that YOU requested.

ACCORDING to your background, you are shown as a professional refrigeration engineer.

In practicing your profession, it is assumed that you will carry "PROFESSIONAL MAL PRACTICE insurance for the data and/or information that you may relay to others from the volunteering of the rest of the hardworking refrigeration engineers.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR ENDEAVORS.

Respectfully and with sadness, I remain.

JOHN

Dear Mr. John Doersom,

From your post, I fail to understand what you meant. On receiving your PM, I had immediately sent a PM to you thanking you for the same. Further I do not remember having conveyed any information regarding what you sent to any one.

Moreover in this forum I do not think that the practice is of not sharing. Whatever little knowledge we have are meant to be shared. In case you find any of my action has offended you, please feel free to let me know openly as I would like all the members to know in what way have I been unethical and somone else do not do the same.

Just for your information, I am in this trade for over 44 years and bear a good reputation as far as business ethics are concerned.

Hi Dan,

Please visit the following website wherein you will get some informations regarding food freezing.

www.dantech.com.sg

Further I have posted a link in another thread regarding some informations that I had collected about Post Harvest of Fruits and Vegetables. Please do download the same immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by john doersom View Post
    SIR:

We here in the USA must have our professional "credentials" on our person.

It has been over 24 hrs. since I sent you that personal information that YOU requested.

ACCORDING to your background, you are shown as a professional refrigeration engineer.

In practicing your profession, it is assumed that you will carry "PROFESSIONAL MAL PRACTICE insurance for the data and/or information that you may relay to others from the volunteering of the rest of the hardworking refrigeration engineers.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR ENDEAVORS.

Respectfully and with sadness, I remain.

JOHN
    I would like to have an explanation from you as to what made you state such a comment. We in India also honour and respect the business ethics, but I totally failed to understand your comments which is a matter of immense sadness to recieve from a fellow member of the RE Forum.

It would be in the interest of better understanding that you please stated the reason, so that I may be aware of the same. At present it appears to be a shot at the back.

I shall look forward to hear from you ON THE FORUM as I would like other members to know what was it that I did wrong. and what was the "Mal Practice" That I got involved with.

OK guys...

I don't know what precipitated this exchange of words, but let's move on shall we.

One comment I will make based on my experience in this business related to the summertime is... 24 hours is not that long!

I've worked longer days than that before!
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Samarjit,

Is the FlowFreezer a fluidized bed freezer? If so, I would think this would be an ideal way of freezing this small product quickly for best food quality.

As to room RH, will the peas be stored in bulk or packaged? That makes a difference.

Smile Re: Freezing Fresh Green Shelled Peas

Nice call, US Iceman. Samarjit and Iceman, you are gentlemen. I have high regard for wise people who ask questions, and I enjoy learning the aspects of refrigeration that I have no recent or direct experience with. Thanks for sharing the websites.

Frozen peas stored in bulk? That would surprise me. I see everything rushing into packages in my limited experience.
    Further I have posted a link in another thread regarding some informations that I had collected about Post Harvest of Fruits and Vegetables. Please do download the same immediately.
    I will search for it... that is, unless you could give me the link more directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Frozen peas stored in bulk? That would surprise me. I see everything rushing into packages in my limited experience.
    You might be right Dan. Packaged would have been my first guess but I did not want to assume. That always gets me into trouble.

Try this link:
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUczRFFYTkFubHcwTVE9PQ

Thanks, Iceman. I missed that. Got it now.

Dear Mike,

I wish I knew as to what made John make this comment.

Yes Mike, the Flow Freezers are fuidizised. You may refer to www.dantech.com.sg for further details. The storing of peas are being done in packages.

Mr Sen, SIR:

You are located EAST of the GMT (0 deg. of Long. line)

Here, at approximately 75 deg. W. Longitude we have different sets of professional responsibilities.

The USA has protection laws for "Patents, Registered TRADE MARKS, and FAMILY businesses".

The PRIVATE information that I personally sent to YOU contained some of this protected stuff". Without getting the written permission from some of these NAMES, I could be sued in the USA COURT OF LAWS.

It was all done with good intentions and good faith, because of this web site that WE all want to enjoy.

Therefore, I must make it known publically that the information under "private " electronic correspondence was with the following disclamer:

I do not know if the methodoligy that I sent to you is SAFE OR NOT.!!!!!!!

Respectfully,
    John Doersom

Dear John,

It is really a pity that you preferred to make a claim without trying to find out the facts. For your informations the link and informations that you sent to me by PM is yet to be studied by me, although I had downloaded the same. The most important thing is that , this information I have neither put it on the Forum or divulged it to any one. Since you had preferred to send the information as a PM , I thought that you would not like to share the same with other members and so I kept it to myself.

I feel that the post of Dan asking me to share the information that you have given to me has been misunderstood by you. He is a moderator of the site and I presume he has the right to scrutiny all documents and that is how he must have come to know that you are sharing some information with me. He is a very fine person and also helpful.

Remember one thing that there are members who have vast knowledge in this field and they all love to share. Give and take should be the policy.

Another thing is that the informations that was provided by you is not something very confidential. It is process which is being adopted and I feel that you being a member of this esteemed Forum should have shared with all the members . This is how we educate ourselves.

I am a very elderly person and am more aware of ethics. You have the entire life ahead of you. Please try to ascertain the facts before you accuse some one of something without knowing the actual facts.

Any way as Mike says, let us forget and carry on.
    Last edited by Samarjit Sen; 04-08-2007 at 08:43 AM.

NEGATIVE SIR!!!!!!!

I will ask to be REMOVED from the computer system, IMMEDIATELY.

John C. Doersom
    Capt. Lockheed L1049G
    Military AIR TRANSPORT (MATS)
    DuPont CORP. USA
    Instructor US ARMY ROTC

CC: NAS PENSACOLA FLORIDA USA

WHAT DO YOU HAVE??????

WE HAVE TRACTORS AND FARMS
    John Deere Corp.
    Catepillar CORP. REG> TRADEMARKS USA

GOOD NITE SIR.

By the way.........Most refrig. product failures........

CHEAP CLOCKS.............This site.

It is now........ exactly 0845 GMT better known as UTC. Weather stormy. Value of product in rooms full of apples? 10 million USA dollars.

Nite-Nite.
    BYE

Mr Sen....Good Morning

I would like to "clear the air" about our conversations.

Some time ago I tried tohelp you with info. about CA storage of GRAPES.

At that time I said that there is a newer process than the old standard CA process using a new chemical rather than the nitrogen system to make CA storage possible.

We here are not using the chemical process because our management is not sure if the process is safe for our product, APPLES. We will keep using the catalytic burner system for producing Nitrogen.

This is what we have elected to do.

If you contact that outfit who is makeing the newer technology, they should be able to help answer your questions about GRAPES.

Since I am about your same age, sometimes we work too many hours at times.

I as the contractor, for the past 35 yrs. for this apple farm, I must carry my own insurance (liability insurance) for the dollar amount of the product that we store.

So far I have never had a PRODUCT LOSS claim.

Please do not take MY writing personal.

Hope that I was able to help you with your GRAPE CA storage information.

I am new to this site. I do not understand computer-talk that much, yet. It can be frustrating to me at times.

Have a nice day. I do not understand the time clock that shows the time when we post information on this site.

Again, have a good day.

Hi John,

CA will not be so effective for Grapes as with Apples. Further there used to be certain chemicals which could extend the shelf life of fruits, but then again CA is required. Irradiation process also helps in extending the shelf life of a fruit, but then it has its limitation.

As far as I know, it is not possible to rule out CA process for extension of shelf life of a fruit. Applea are most suitable for CA application. In our country we have a large number of CA Cold Storages for Apples.

Recently Lana a member of this forum had suggested some very nice books on Guide to Food Transpotation - Fruits and Vegetables. It is a very useful book. There are lots of informations available on the internet and I had compiled them and submitted the link on this forum. You may be having these documents and if not they do contain a lot of informations on Precooling and Storage of Fruits and Vegetables.

With regards and best wishes,

Here is some more lnk to some files on Food Safety, Post Harvest, Preccoling, Irradiation of Fruits etc.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUczc0x4bEF3TGcwTVE9PQ

Kindly download this immediately as it will be valid for 7 days only from today

With best wishes,

Thank you.

Our responsibility for our product, APPLES and Peaches, Cherries and such like ends when the US Dept. of AGRICULTURE inspects our products just before shipment on container SHIPS even to NEW DELHI.

The container ships are of regristrations from just about everywhere in the world.

Upon arrival to YOUR AGRICULTURE inspection authorities, the ship will already have left.

Sometimes, though, when foreign products arrive to be stored in OUR rooms, the SHIP must be turned around, proceed 12 kM from our shores. Then the containers can be "dumped on to some other customer".

If'n you see one of the "FLAG SHIP" on the cardboard box at your grocery store, well, good STUFF.

I am now watering my family garden. It has not rained here for much natural RAIN WARTER. SOFT STUFF.

Regards,
    John

To the fellas:

I gotta go again.

Back again, probably, in a few weeks.

BOSS CALLED: Gotta report for "DUTY" at 0800 ET.
    Fer some of ya's> That will be 1200 ZULU, GMT, UTC on Monday, This year, somewhere's.

Fer youin's over ther I know that will be LUNCH TIME.

Please eat a good "balanced diet and some of the local STUFF. Maybe even some grapes, or DOLE pieapple.

Be good and make sure you "KEEP THE BARN DOOR ZIPPED UP".

Johnnie.

Hi aawood1,

You had mentioned about the peas freezing project you executed about 15 years ago. I know it would be very difficult to remember all the details, but could you just give me an idea as to the system adopted by you and in case you remember the web site of the Flow Freezers.

Thank you,

Hi Samarjit,
    The flow freezers where made by Frigoscandia and where fluidized bed type with pulsators in the bed air flow. They are now part of FMC you can try two web site's www.frigoscandia.com or www.fmcfoodtech.com the belt freezer was a one off made for this site so it could be used for chips. The Ammonia plant was rated at about 856 TR at -42oC, the freezers worked on a pumped liquid over feed system. As for the cold store it was used for about 8 type's of products back then.
    All the best Arthur.

Thank you Arthur,

I had visited the web site and found it interesting. I do not think that my clients requirement with any where near what you did years ago. They only want to freeze the peas at 2 MT per hour. But at least I shall have an idea about this plant systeme from the details provided by you.