wkbarton Guest

Question Dirt for insulation?

I'm not a refrigeration expert and have a very old chest refrigerator to get out of my basement. Too heavy for a couple of guys to budge, I am trying to break it up to take out. This box had the compressor external on the top, which I removed. The box itself has a wood frame covered by sheet metal. I started to cut one of the sides to break it down and the walls are filled with something that looks like dirt. It is brown and loose like dirt and I am not sure what the material is or if it may be toxic. Anybody have an idea this stuff may be or if I need to be careful with it? Did they ever use cork as an insulator?
    Last edited by wkbarton; 06-10-2002 at 11:57 AM.

hi WK

Is the "dirt" wet or dry?

How old is the cabinet?

wkbarton Guest
    Hi Frank,

I'm guessing the box is from the 1920's or 30's. This place was an Inn and Tavern from 1900-1940.

The dirt is dry, light and flakey, almost like cork. But it's not stuck together like cork.

WK

Cork insulation was common back then. I'm not aware that ground up cork was used, but then that's a little before my time.

wkbarton Guest
    Thanks Gary,

I think it is probably cork too. It feels a little spongey like cork and it has probably just dried out into crumbs over the years.

Boy, between this and steam heating I am learning a lot from this house.

This is a great forum, thanks for the quick responses!
    WK

Spongy feeling? Possibly vermiculite? It has been around since the 20's. Maybe it was a loose-fill insulation from the start.

may worth some money

Mybe you can sell it to antique collector. Talk to one of those guys at the "road show". who knows it may worth a bundle$$$$. I get ten percent ok.
    Be Happy