I have a VERY old self contained (mobile home unit) A/C unit on the roof of my house in Florida. When I bought the home it had no A/C and this one was given to me. Its been working fine for 4 years.

Being the shade tree engineer that I am, I thought I could make it more efficient by installing a weeper (dripper) hose around the top of the condenser coil and let cool (as cool as florida water gets) water flow down the Condenser coil while the unit is running.

How I did it: Simply placed a few feet of weeper hose around the top of the cond coil, connected it to an old 24 volt irrigation valve, hooked the valve up to the Yellow and Common so the water only runs when the compressor runs.

The Results: First off the water here is cheap but I do collect the water that runs off to water the plants. The inside are temp at the register runs about one degree cooler when the water is on compared to turning off my little invention.

It sure seems to me that the A/C does not run as much, or maybe its just me hoping I came up with a great idea.

So the question is...... any idea how much i may save by this little invention? Was this a good idea?

I didnt pay a dime for the material, the extra water is used for the plants and I cant hurt the A/C unit for it was junk to start with.

Any ideas, savings or thoughts are very much welcome.

Thanks,
Dan