RAC industry humour

Hi,

This is a great industry to work in and this site proves that it is full of some of the most helpful, wonderful people around.

The technical challenges of the job can make life both demanding and interesting, even serious, but there is something about this industry that breeds characters who that have the greatest sense of humour around.

I have just written a piece that should be in this months issue of the UK magazine ACR-Today magazine. I hope that at least some of you read it and I hope that of those that do...at least a couple like it.

I would love to hear some industry jokes or funny stories if anyone has any they would like to share.

Yesterday, I heard a guy explaining the difference between refrigerants......"R22 is for commercial plant, R134a is for air conditioning and the old industrial refrigeration favourite is Rmonia..!!"

Look forward to hearing your stories.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: RAC industry humour

HI and welcome to the forum.

Are you going to be paying for publishing the stories that you read here ?

You know how tight fisted we are
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

You know how tight fisted we are
    How can you say that we are all tight-fisted? We work for the benefit and comfort of man-kind; we work very long hours often in dirty and uncomfortable working conditions and we don't expect to be paid as much as many other trades that have easier and less skilled jobs. Sounds more like social minded charity workers than tight-fisted individuals.

So come on Brian, cough-up a joke or two

Last edited by Brian_UK; 11-07-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Tidied up quoted bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarm View Post

I have just written a piece that should be in this months issue of the UK magazine ACR-Today magazine. I hope that at least some of you read it and I hope that of those that do...at least a couple like it.

I read that in the comic this week.

Tell me, and be truthful, did any money change hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post

Hi Argus,

Ahh...so there has been one reader at least, although you didn't say if you liked it or not.

It was written to raise a smile (if only a wry one); if it succeeded then that is all the payment I need (and probably more than I deserve I can hear say with some justification), if it didn't...what can I say...at least I tried to brighten someone else's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post

OK, I confess.....I paid them a small fortune to see my name in print.

I had an email today from a commissioning engineer with an amusing tale:

He was sent out to Kenya from the UK to commission a small -18 C cold store that had been sold by his UK company. The task of designing of the refrigeration plant, being fairly straight forward, had been left to a young graduate engineer that the company had recently taken on and this was his first unsupervised project.

All was going well, and the plant pulled down in temperature nicely and had no problem operating in the high ambient temperatures, but then the coolers iced up it became apparent that there was a problem with the defrost. In fact there was no defrost heaters or any other form of defrost and so it was impossible to clear the ice build-up.

The commissioning engineer phoned back to the UK to report the problem and spoke to the graduate design engineer:

"There are no defrost heaters"

"Of course not, I didn't put any in"

"Why not?"

"Don't be ridiculas! This plant was sold for it's energy efficient performance. With the high ambient in Kenya it would be stupid not to take advantage of it and so I have designed for off-cycle defrost"

??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Lukewarm
    ...this was his first unsupervised project.
    Apparently his training phase was cut short.

Sadly, I have seen the same thing before with young people starting. If the older guys can't spend enough time with the younger ones starting out, they end up re-creating the wheel. Sad, but true.

The difference between theory and real world application is were the rubber meets the road. This is where the expereinced people need to provide a guiding hand.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

[quote=US Iceman;73014] Apparently his training phase was cut short.

You are right.

It can be true to say that "the only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything". We have all been trainees at some point so we have all been there, but sadly it does seem to be an unfortuate fact (with exceptions of course) that in the AC/R industry the training is often too short, inadequate or simply none existent.

So, an amusing tale with a moral perhaps........?