Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A refrigeration engineer idiot?

Whew! I was a bit worried there.

Since the wife doesn't work, and neither does my son (he's a scant 2 years old - lol), I am the sole provider for my family.

Surely, I would rather put in 8 hours x 5 days a week, but with the economy being so bad nowadays, I'm stuck.

I figure I'll be doing this pace for another 10 years or so . . . sigh.

I thought about panhandling like Homer Simpson did in one of the shows I watched a while back, but not sure if I can get anything. Too many panhandlers out there as it is - lol.

Now, back to the topic:

I am still dealing with people (now shop owners, usually 3rd world immigrants for some unknown reason) who try to fix things themselves, like they used to 'back home'. Others have told me that they have been doing this for many years before licensing requirements were enacted and knew 'a friend' who could get them their refrigerant of choice without any problems.

And of course, they wind up paying me to come back and fix it right (usually compressor jobs due to overcharging or wrong refrigerant used).

I'll think of an acronym for 'replace' sooner or later. Been shoveling over 7,000 square feet of driveway/sidewalks today - and more one the way...sheesh...

Does anyone know if the Kyoto Protocol will help deter these people?

I just thought of something.

I assume that the shop owners don't like being charged such high prices for repairs.

But they don't realize that the technicians who properly perform the repairs have spent a lot of time and money to learn how to do things the right way as well as having the proper equipment.

It's a lot of responsibility on our part.

I guess they're trading quality & responsibility for money?

Maybe 'back yard' mechanics have their place in the world, but considering what's at stake with the environment, we're not charging enough?

OK, I got the ACRONYM for everyone.

One that is descriptive of all those 'hack' technicians out there...

Replacement
    Engineering
    People
    Lacking (an)
    Adequate
    Certification (of)
    Education

I suppose this would describe the 'guy' I mentioned when I first started this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by zolar1

Replacement
    Engineering
    People
    Lacking (an)
    Adequate
    Certification (of)
    Education

I suppose this would describe the 'guy' I mentioned when I first started this thread?
    dang... You're GOOD!

Since the wife doesn't work, and neither does my son (he's a scant 2 years old - lol), I am the sole provider for my family.

Heyy Zolar,

2 years old already..............Wow, seems like yesterday, I still remember the excitement in your postings just before he was born......... How time flies!!
    Last edited by Abe; 24-12-2004 at 07:06 AM.
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

(trying not to digress from the original topic here)

Excitement is still there. I love seeing the wide-eyed wonder in his eyes when looking at everything. He's trying to sneak under the Christmas tree to see what's there - and he puts a big smile on my face everytime. And he LOVES going outside - lol. (Wait till he has to drive to work in the weather...he won't like it soon enough...he he)

I wish I could earn enough money to take my son to Europe. Maybe see some of the good places. But the economy is still bad, and that secret organization known as R.E.P.L.A.C.E. makes it hard for me to earn a living. Many of the shop owners get rather gun-shy when hiring people lately.

I was wondering: Any other people like/dislike the ACRONYM I came up with?

shogun7 Guest

Well, the point I was trying to make a bit ago was that why did I have to earn my Universal Refrigerant license and initially spend nearly $6000.00 for startup equipment, take the time to learn (pay my dues so to speak) when some Joe-Blow comes in and doesn't do anything but buy some R134a and shove it in a system without a license, and without the proper tools/training to ensure safe handling of refrigerant, etc.

I feel that if I had to go through all that, the other guy should have to too, or call me so I can do the job.

Fly-by-nighters undercut and devalue the work that we do. Who wants to compete with some hack for $6.00/hour?

It just irks me how they can get away with that............

Zolar
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change:To change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference!

Replacement
    Engineering
    People
    Lacking (an)
    Adequate
    Certification (of)
    Education

Hmmmmm... How about AC = Analytical Comprehension

Replacement
    Engineering
    People
    Lacking
    Analytical
    Comprehension
    Education

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12