marks Guest

Condenser Coil Positioning

Two questions related to installing A/C in an MGB-GT I am rebuilding.

1. Assuming adequate airflow, can the condenser coil of an automotive a/c system be mounted horizontally instead of vertically?

2. Instead of using one condenser coil of "x" square inches, can two coils of "x/2" inches, connected in series, be used? (For my application, the coils would be 10 inches apart.

Thanks in advance for helping out a guy who is basically clueless about refrigeration engineering.

Re: Condenser Coil Positioning

1. No, they are designed to keep a bit of liquid refrigerant in the bottom coil, by turning them you will change the design and might/will upset things.

2. Yes, but you do open up a can of worms when it comes to the pipework design feeding them.

If you are clueless when it comes to A/C, who's going to commission it for you?
    Get whoever it is involved now and he/she should be able to give you hints and tips on the design.

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Thanks in advance for helping out a guy who is basically clueless about refrigeration engineering.

I agree with the norsman.
    But would add, if one cond was above the other Vertical air flow will affect the higher cond.
    The warm air from the lower one may effect the higher one.
    You could position the lower one angled downwards slightly to encourage the liquid to flow and collect at the bottom of the coil.

taz
    Last edited by taz24; 05-07-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Two questions related to installing A/C in an MGB-GT I am rebuilding.

1. Assuming adequate airflow, can the condenser coil of an automotive a/c system be mounted horizontally instead of vertically?
    Hi Marks

The condenser and radiator in automotive applications are usually designed with frontal air velocity of 10 m/s by exploiting the vehicle speed. The location of these heat exchangers is in the engine compartment under the bonnet and this location is featured by a high temperature as a result of radiation effect of the engine itself. Therefore, if u put a condenser in horizontal orientation it means u will deprive the condenser from incoming high velocity air which mitigates the radiation effect.

2. Instead of using one condenser coil of "x" square inches, can two coils of "x/2" inches, connected in series, be used? (For my application, the coils would be 10 inches apart.
    Yes, u can divide the condensation process into several stage in series provided the installation is accomplished side-by-side not staked to allow each condenser its own fresh air. I wish it could help

Cheers