Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Domestic Instalaltions 3.5kW from 13A socket

Quote Originally Posted by sparky james View Post
    Go on the 5 day course and do the job properly.

Now there's a contradiction in terms!

5 Day wonder Sparks eh!

He who dies with the most Toys, WINS!

hi all, wow what a trail of replies ....lol. firstly and im sure that this point may have been discussed earlier, but what did your quotation state that you were providing including exclusion ie what you were not providing. this is more important than anything else. for example as this is a domestic property, you now need to contact the planning dept for permission / approval for the external condensing unit, they may also want to see the energy efficiency rating of the equipment, also part P must be complied with, whether your are paying the council to certify the power circuit or if you are using an NIC EIC approved or similar company, this is required whether you are modifying an existing power circuit or providing a new power circuit.

if your client wishes to use another contractor for electrical reasons, she must ask for your permission first as your works are still under consumer law and valid for a minimum of 12 month, using other may invalidate this warranty, she can not demand monies back without giving you the opertunatey to correct any defect first.
    its a tough old game and its not getting any easier

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteWDJ View Post
    What I remember from my part p course (few years ago now) was that you can come off a ring main circuit but it then becomes a radial circuit and if the fuse is 32amp rated then regulation states 4mm for 32 radial. Once this 4mm is installed into 13amp fused spur the load side can then be 1.5mm.

Hmm..... cor blimey...

Quote Originally Posted by Contactor View Post
    Hmm..... cor blimey...

Explain yourself?

Only one of the part p providers allowes the inspection of other peoples work.

I think anyone signing off others works is foolish and asking for trouble if their certification body dont allow it.

What next fitting gas boilers between jobs.

Go on the 5 day course and do the job properly.
    Peridodic inspections are inspecting and signin off someone elses work, surley?.. You may need the inspection and testing certificate and professional indemnety insurance but it is legal to do this...

Oi.... I do fit gas boilers in between jobs
    Karl

sparky james Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    Peridodic inspections are inspecting and signin off someone elses work, surley?.. You may need the inspection and testing certificate and professional indemnety insurance but it is legal to do this...

Oi.... I do fit gas boilers in between jobs
    Periodic inspection report is for an existing installation and must not be issued for new work or alterations its a report not a certificate.

I think this is great! (where it's an option). You can cut into the ring anywhere, run down to your spur and back from junction boxes locating a switched spur next to the unit. This not only doubles up as the isolator for the indoor unit but also gives the customer the option of switching off the whole system locally. You can then run your feed either to the outdoor unit along with the pipes or to the indoor if required.

It pays to get to know the regs, if anything goes wrong and your installation is not up to standard you are risking your own neck as well as your customers.

After all Part P came in because a 34 year old mother of two was killed by a defective installation (unsuitable cable not chased or located properly, electrocuted by a DIY metal cutlery rack) in 2004. The electrician concerned went to prison and rightly so.

BUT - it's never been easier to call yourself a qualified electrician, most customers ask for registration and now anyone can get it after just a five day course.
    Last edited by Contactor; 23-08-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Daikin

Periodic inspection report is for an existing installation and must not be issued for new work or alterations its a report not a certificate.
    Thanks for the clarification.. It is something that has puzzled me for a while.

Part P is something that I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not.. Anyone thesed days can slap down a couple of grand, do the course and call themselves an electrician and then make a right hash of it...on the other hand I do a fair bit of gas and electrical work for kitchen fitters and some of the electrical work that I have seen is so bad that not even an inexperienced guy fresh off his course could have left such a pigs ear.. So in the main things are improving and becoming safer...

Example.. We found a four ring electric hob and oven connected to the ring via 2.5mm T&E.. No fused spur.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    Example.. We found a four ring electric hob and oven connected to the ring via 2.5mm T&E.. No fused spur.
    and where do you get 20a fused spurs from ??, what you need is a cooker switch..

Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    and where do you get 20a fused spurs from ??, what you need is a cooker switch..

Eggs
    Just stick a sawn off nail in a 13 amp fused spur and hey presto...
    Karl

stewholman Guest

Personally, I think all electricians are glorified plumbers. All they seem to do is come on site with big red gay book, chanting ive got 17th edition and and spouting phrases like 'its not the volts that kill you, its the amps' or 'neutral is just a gloryfied earth'. The truth is, when it comes down to real electrical work, most so call electricians (SPARKYS), dont know the arse from there elbow. Fridge & A/C engineers on the other hand can do the lot. There is nothing wrong with what you have done. Ive ran some 7kw A/C units off a plug top, and its been fine. A/C units have there own internal safety devices, electrically and mechanically. Next time some jobs worth sparks even attempts to breath in your air space, give him a dose of R22 in his riser cuboard and close the door. Just make sure you reclaim it all afterwards.

Post Re: Domestic Installations 3.5kW from 13A socket

I am aware that this is a 3 year old post but looking through the replies I note that no one has mentioned that in general domestic consumer units are fitted with type "B" MCB's.
    These are not designed for inductive load, type C & D are available for motor applications and transformer protection.

Re: Domestic Installations 3.5kW from 13A socket

Quote Originally Posted by B G Scott View Post
    I am aware that this is a 3 year old post but looking through the replies I note that no one has mentioned that in general domestic consumer units are fitted with type "B" MCB's.
    These are not designed for inductive load, type C & D are available for motor applications and transformer protection.

Most air con are inverters how does that affect the fuse type

Correct Multisync!

All small UK supplied splits will run fine off a Type B MCB or RCBO.

Big inductive start up currents are a thing of the past.
    He who dies with the most Toys, WINS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12