Hi guys,
I recently renewed my safe handling ticket and was told by the instructor, that under new European legislation proposals, all systems over a certain size will require AN ANNUAL PRESSURE TEST.

Well !!!!!........I'm all for making sure that our environment is protected and the industry should endeavour to reduce leakage of ALL refrigerants, BUT...I can't help but think that this is just another way to generate cash. I cannot think how the government can hope to enforce this law, (if it is accepted by the U.K.) Does anything like this exist in the States ?

How many clients would willingly accept that an engineer will have to pressure test their airconditioning/refrigeration systems annually. Especially with all the cost that this entails (reclaim, test and re-charge).

What if the system had no history of leakage, in his eyes, this would be just another example of a service company trying to "rip him off". I'm sure the client would soon be looking for a new company to service hie equipement. ( enter the cowboys ?) No slur on our American cousins...just a figure of speach.

The only way this could be enforceable, would be if the client's insurance would be invalid, if no current test certificate was available.

I know that this legislation sounds great at first glance, look how much work it would generate. But an industry trying to rebuild their reputation after the refrigerant replacement misinformation can ill afford more distrust from the people we are trying to serve.

AM I BEING PARANOID OR WHAT....or......HAVE I JUST GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK ?