Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    afza Guest

Re: Economizers and screw compressors

i was informed by our refrigerant package designer that by utilizing economizer (in this case flash), they can reduced the motor BHP about 20% with the same cooling capacity.

But i read above, US iceman did mentioned that by adding the additional flash load from econ. to the compressor side port, you actually increase the compression flowrate which in relatively will increase the compressor BHP as well and this is make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by afza View Post
    i was informed by our refrigerant package designer that by utilizing economizer (in this case flash), they can reduced the motor BHP about 20% with the same cooling capacity.

But i read above, US iceman did mentioned that by adding the additional flash load from econ. to the compressor side port, you actually increase the compression flowrate which in relatively will increase the compressor BHP as well and this is make sense.
    Economizer will improve efficiency of the compressor. Efficiency is energy use per unit of refrigeration(BHP/TR). I would say that economizer will increase power by one step but it will increase capacity by 2 steps. To achieve the same capacity, you need larger compressor without economizer and it will use more energy(20%) then economized compressor.

does anyone have any information on how gas densities at different pressures/temperatures play into economizer design and efficiency?

Big Thanks to Iceman

for such a clear & informative thread

R's chillerman

Ps: am going to have a butchers at your other threads now....well worth a read everyone !
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Homer1 Guest

Thanks so much for this information...Fantastic thread!

I have another question that I can't get an answer on anywhere. I have noticed that 06N compressors have a model number that designate an E for economizer and an N for no economizer as the 11th letter.

My question is - can you use one compressor for either application?
    I can't see any physical difference in the compressors as such as both E and N series have 2 different unloader plates - a large square one or an oblong one (which I originally thought was the difference between the economized and non economized models) so I can't see what the difference is between these two designations and does it really matter?

Any help would be appreciated.

96n...you are talking about a Carrier/Carlyle screw? On larger compressors, the side port is simply plugged on the non-economized machine and pull the plate off and use it as an economized machine with the appropriate economizer.

Does Carrier open the port on both machines? It has been a few years since I worked with the carrier screw.

Ken

Homer1 Guest

Thanks for the reply. These are the smaller Carrier/Carlyle non serviceable screw compressors...model number example 06NW2300S5NA.

They seem to have 2 different side plates where the unloaders are. I first thought these were the difference in economiser models and non economiser models but they both seem to have them so I am wondering what to look for on the compressor so i can swap one to the other if needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12