Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
the temperatures i could get was in the range of -30 to -50 degC.

Your solution to the icing problem in the turbine, is this available online or was it published in a paper or journal etc. so I can have a look at it. i assume you worked with the bristol university?

Just to check with you about your solution.
I assume at first you used 1 turbine and because there was ice forming you used two turbines?
The first turbine (which is running) creates a bit of heat and would defrost the second turbine (which is idle) in parallel to the running turbine.

What do you mean by ‘done by duct work closers and dampeners and a small circulation fan within the closed off turbine’?

The fan is located inside the idle turbine?
Could you explain this a little more?
Your solution is very interesting.

Hi spiderman

I left the project 10 years ago in its infancy, the way the project was going was in the direction of air conditioning and not my own direction of refrigeration, + i had other plans. My commitment was wondering and the air cycle process was long winded, we solved 1 problem only for another to appear + i didn't think many customers would want a gas powered jet engine on the roof of their building to drive the system. Just imagine the maintenance schedule and gas costs to run it just to generate the air volumes required.

Quite a few questions in the above so here goes!

No papers were produced as i only produced papers on succesful results, there are some very clever people in the scientific world and they love to disagree with anything on paper, i was a more nuts and bolts guy and liked too see things actually work rather than publish papers on theoretical out comes.

Duct work was taken from the hot air heat exchanger back on to the expansion turbine casing, in simple terms encassing the turbine outlet in a warm environment so assisting in the impeller defrosting, we also tried using the heat from the oil cooled turbines circuit( the 1 left running).

1 big problem when the 2nd turbine comes back on line the moisture levels increased and we were back to square 1. Then you have to look at getting rid of the water droplets from the turbine casing.

You have alot of work ahead of you and the path is long and not exactly straight, if i can be of any assistance let me know. Believe me i made many a mistake and nearly ended up bald with the head scratching, but still quite interseting as people say nothing is more free than air, but the consumption of the air compressors didn't exactly make it top of the list for environmental concerns.

Nothing wrong with small scale applications but very limited on commercial and industrial applications.

I hope this answers some questions spiderman and hopefully Dan will read this post as well?

Kind regards
Lrac