Thread: Howdy

Howdy

Your regular old blowhard reporting for duty!

Found this place by pure accident. Decided to register because it looks like the BBS is a little more open to everyone than some of the other refrigeration BBS’s I have come across. (they shale remain nameless) The fact that you have a computer cooling section is a good indication to me.

I am into refrigeration as a hobby (one of many hobbies). I am fascinated by the technology it’s self. I have gotten to the point that building a properly functioning system from scratch is not much of a difficulty.

I like doing stuff with things that the original designer did not intend on it doing. A hardware hacker so to speak.

No idea is strange enough to scare me away.

Want to use R290? No problem. You just better know about the flammability dangers associated with it. But that’s your problem not mine.

If you live in Canada and can’t buy R134a at your auto store. Did I mention a little thing called an air duster?

I will not give you the politically correct answer, i will tell you how I think it can be done.

I think that phase change refrigeration, and associated technologies would contribute to the world more if the basic principles behind it’s operation was common knowledge. That is why I always share any information I have learned over the years to anyone without a second thought. And sometimes (most of the time) in painfully dry detail. I always give an answer to the best of my abilities, nothing more nothing less, I sometimes find out that I am wrong, that is life. Some times I stick to my guns when everyone else tells me I am stupid, and I end up being right. Again, that is life.

I think the regulations that the government put in place was just the government trying to take control of an industrial sector, nothing more, nothing less. Why put the use of ammonia, R290, R600, and all the other commodity products under strict licensing only when they are used as refrigerants? Why make it illegal to vent R134a when they have air dusters filled with the stuff? Why reuse all the returned R12 and R22? If it’s so bad, why not destroy it as soon as it comes in from the field? Their actions just don’t make sense to me if they was actually wanting to do what they say they was wanting to do.

I do not vent refrigerant, not because of the environment, but because it is just plain stupid to throw away a perfectly good chemical. Especially at $5 to $10 a can!!!! It so easy to build a recovery machine, that it is just stupid not having something to recover the refrigerant when you take a system apart!

So I am a hardware hacker, conspiracy theorist penny pincher, and all around nut. That gives you an idea where I am coming from.

Hope the rooms are fully padded around here, I have a tendency to bounce off the walls.

I will thank the people that are running the place, and the members, they seem to have a nice place going here, and I hope I can help people out during my stay here, however long that is.

Re: Howdy

Hi Air duster,

Welcome to the RE.

A little too long for introduction though .

BTW I agree with you about some of the gov regulations and I think they do what they do, by some technical backing (I hope). But what can we do?

Anyway, enjoy this forum.
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Howdy

Hi Air Duster and a warm welcome to the forum.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015