R-22 to R-502 Capacity correction factor?

I'm making a small heat pump as some probably read in my other thread, I was given some R-502 and even some TXVs to go with it.

What is the capacity correction factor for it though?

Compressor is rated at 18000BTU @ 45F evap R-22 and its a rotory compressor.

Re: R-22 to R-502 Capacity correction factor?

The compressor will have close to its original capacity, but the TEV tonnage should match the tonnage for a R502 valve. You should expect a 30% greater mass flow through the valve when compared to R22. So if you do not change port sizes, you will tend to starve the evaporator.

I have dedicated R-502 TXVs to go with it.

So I need slightly smaller valve compared to the compressor?

1.5Ton R-22 Compressor running R-502 with a 1.5Ton R-502 TXV was the set up I intended to use.

And what about its re-use ability? I have a 6,000BTU A/C here I can experiment with, when don do I just recover to a -25" Vac and the stuff in the cylinder be re-usable? or will it fraction to badely?

and I read some where they say R-502 works only in piston compressors, and I don't buy that, if so why can't it work in scroll/ rotery piston compressors?

Sorry for all the Qs I've only ever worked with R-134a/R-22/R-290 befor
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 22-04-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    What is the capacity correction factor for it though?
    Here I go again, getting into the ***** side. (And hopefully not making too much of a fool of myself.)
    As I recall when I made a conversion of a couple of freezers from R502 to R22 several years ago there was about 30% loss in capacity. This was do to the lower mass of refrigerant being pumped.
    502 has a much greater density than 22 at a given suction pressure. Fundamentals tell us that heat removal depends on the amount of refrigerant being circulated.
    The suction pressure will be lower using R22 to achieve a given suction temperature, therefore less mass of refrigerant will circulate, and less heat removal.

SO R-502 in a R-22 system will net me More capacity per cc then R-22 would So a 1.5 Ton R-22 compressor on R-502 Would act like say a 2Ton compressor?

And again, how well does it recover? If I pump the unit down to 25 inch vac will the R-502 I recover be any good still?

Ok so given that Will my condenser still be good? Originally it was a 1.5Ton compressor hooked up to a 1.5Ton coaxial water condenser using a evap rated for 2 tons, all rated on R-22.

With R-502 should I up my condenser to 2Tons and my evap up to 3Ton?
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 23-04-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    SO R-502 in a R-22 system will net me More capacity per cc then R-22 would So a 1.5 Ton R-22 compressor on R-502 Would act like say a 2Ton compressor?
    And again, how well does it recover? If I pump the unit down to 25 inch vac will the R-502 I recover be any good still?
    Ok so given that Will my condenser still be good? Originally it was a 1.5Ton compressor hooked up to a 1.5Ton coaxial water condenser using a evap rated for 2 tons, all rated on R-22.
    With R-502 should I up my condenser to 2Tons and my evap up to 3Ton?
    Using 502 in a R-22 system does not work, in most cases. R-22 to 502 only results in a loss of capacity. (Oil return can be a problem though) 22 to 502 causes other problems such as Condenser insufficiency and Compressor Horsepower requirements.

If you make the change from 22 to 502 (this is all theoretical, we would not be doing this), many other problems can crop up, such as distributors.

I do not understand the recovery issue you refer to.

I have the feeling I offended MG Pony here and if that is the case, I apologize. I researched this quite throughly years ago when we had to change from 502 and 13B1 (Otherwise known as the Devils Refrigerant) to alternatives.

No you didn't but I'm still not getting a clear picture.

The system is very simple, there is nothing on other then TXV and an F/D.

The compressor is a 18000BTU R-22 rotory compressor, condenser is a coaxial water cooled Rated 1.5Ton.

The expansion valve is a proper 502 rated one for 1.5 Ton. If it won't work I won't bother, it was just a thought as I was given 20pounds R-502 and some TXVs which makes the project all that much easier!

As the recovery Q was concerned I wanted to play around with an old A/C that ran R-22 and see what would happen with R-502; But I don't want to waste the R-502 if it will fractionalize badly when I recover it.

MG Pony;
    By all means experiment with it. Run some amperage tests before you start and then put the 502 in and check again. I think you will find a high amperage draw on the compressor. At least that is what I found when I did it by accident!
    The 502 will not separate like the blends will. You may recover with no problem. It is a true Azetrophic mixture. (I did not spell that correctly, but the Sopranos are on)
    Let it know how it works out.

Ok cool so it "realy" is an Azeotrop.

Ya I was going to do that, take condencer in/out delta; Evap in/out delta, compressor current draw, but I didn't want to if I couldn't recover it 100% so if I can I'll recover the R-22 and add 2 schrader ports.