Just completed safe handling

Hi all, i'm new here and new to this environment (air con etc), i'm an electrical maintenance engineer whos just completed and passed the safe handling course for refrigerants, the course consisted of a huge practical element, charging, vacuuming, discharging of a split ac unit, a full commissioning-decommissioning & service exercise, although i felt confident and fully aware of the fundamentals at the time i cant help but feel nervous about entering this field unaided as you can understand, are their any technical reference guides available for me? I am currently seeking a local engineer to shadow for a while without luck, another option would be to purchase a small split system to practice on, any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by malcoa; 17-04-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Re: Just completed safe handling

Hi there and very warm welcome
    Try ASHRAE hand book & Principal of refrigeration by Dossat

Hi malcoa,

Welcome to the RE.

If you know the basics in this trade then I suggest that you study different technical bulletins from the manufacturers like Copeland and Bitzer for compressors; Danfoss, Sporlan and Alco for TEV and different components.

The technical data they publish are more practical and useful.

Hope you good luck.
    Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Hi guys thanks for the welcome and replies, yes their is some helpfull information on those sites, some of which i saved, but it's getting the techniques right that worry me, in other words at pressures as high as these i wouldnt like to fowl up, thats what makes me nervouse-pure lack of experience i know
    Last edited by malcoa; 18-04-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Malcoa
    if your that worried why not get some training in refrigeration and air conditioning before you hurt yourself or somebody else. There are plenty of places that do training.

Ian

i have, i completed it about 5 weeks ago and cost a small fortune, but a week of training and a safe handling cert dosn't constitute as being trained in my opinion and i'm sure your opinion, as i lack practice and experience and time goes on i can assume that i will forget at least 1 thing which could be detrimental
    Thanks
    Last edited by malcoa; 18-04-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcoa View Post
    i have, i completed it about 5 weeks ago and cost a small fortune, but a week of training and a safe handling cert dosn't constitute as being trained in my opinion and i'm sure your opinion, as i lack practice and experience and time goes on i can assume that i will forget at least 1 thing which could be detrimental
    Thanks

One week of training will not be enough for you to be able to go and do the job.
    Are you working in the trade? or are you trying to get into the trade?
    If you work in the trade then confidence will come with expeience and experience will come over time.
    If you are trying to get into the trade or work selfemployed then you will struggle because you o not have enough experience.

taz.

Thanks, thats what i thought but didnt want to hear, never mind i will persist to feel confortable and learn more on this subject, they really shouldnt be handing out these citb certs though, its not difficult to obtain if you have a bit of a technical background, admittedly i have more knowledge of hydraulics and control systems, thats why i found the course easy

saharamin Guest

good day to all,
    malcoa, since you are electrical maintenance engineer, and just pass the training on safe handling of refiregerants and the basic of refrigeration, you will find interesting, entering the field ofrefrigeration. The idea of purchasing split ac to practise is i think not bad idea, also having refrigeartion and hvac book will help you a lot.
    Cheers,
    saharamin

good luck Malcoa, you will certainly need it

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

.... in other words at pressures as high as these i wouldnt like to foul up, thats what makes me nervouse-pure lack of experience i know
    .....i have more knowledge of hydraulics and control systems....
    I understand your concerns and admire your restraint however.....

You work on hyrdraulics? and your working pressures here are what ? 35 - 50 bar ?

Now compare that to the a/c system that you are working on, it's not too far different is it?

Same scenario, you don't want a leak 'cos it makes a mess.

A hydraulic leak drills a hole in your skin and a refrigerant leak gives you frostbite so both need respect.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    I
    A hydraulic leak drills a hole in your skin and a refrigerant leak gives you frostbite so both need respect.
    Hence the need for pressure testing,

Thanks all for your replies and any support given, i've been lucky enough to get on with a busy guy whose been at it for 20+ years, easy to say now but i realised just how little if anything i forgot, however as you guys will know-real life is a far cry from the classroom