Talking Hi, ref handling and my options

Hey everyone im fairly new to this site so i may be in the wrong section, im 19 and have been in the trade for 18 months now and i have expert training from my employer and i a now on the brink of getting my own van once peugeot get it delivered!
    Im just wondering with regard to training after 12 months of hands on training riding with the boss i was put through the safe handling of refrigerants course and passed easily i am very competent on working with A/C and refrigeration plant and often work on my own when possible, sadly there aren't any colleges near me that do the city and guilds course so it looks like il have to do my training through private courses obviously CITB registered!! What i want to know is will these courses be adequate as my work and knowledge is but i need need the tickets dont i?!?! What do you guys think are good courses to go on....ie: pipework and brazing? etc etc.

Oh by the way when i did the safe handling course, i had one old boy who owne his own company and looked to be a skilled old boy asked me how pressure and temp are related !!!! Because he didnt know !!!
    Basic knowledge?? surely
    And a self employed carpet and upholstery cleaner who did not know the first thing about basic refrigeration and A/C passed the course (he asked very very dumb questions and looked generally lost)

isnt this wrong that he can have such a certificate handling refrigerants!

could send my nan on the course incase im ill one day :P lol

Re: Hi, ref handling and my options

Can't agree more mate some of these private places give the 'safe handling' certificate to anyone who pays the fee. Drive yourself to the nearest NVQ college, do the 2 years on day release and get as much experience under your belt as you can.

Also, I have had similar experiences with old gits who claim years in the trade, but don't relly understand any theory. Thats not to say dismiss them entirely, 40 years of practical experience can teach you a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post

Oh by the way when i did the safe handling course, i had one old boy who owne his own company and looked to be a skilled old boy asked me how pressure and temp are related !!!! Because he didnt know !!!
    Basic knowledge?? surely

isnt this wrong that he can have such a certificate handling refrigerants!
    What people fail to realise is, just because you hold a gas handling ticket, it does not make you a fridge man.

Training, qualifications and experience makes you a fridge man.

The C&G and CITB quals are only there to prove competancy and basic knowledge about refrigerants and the risks to health and the environment caused by them.
    Almost anyone with two days training can pass it.
    It is not intended to prove your ability as an engineer.

taz.