bogtrotter Guest

coolinf fan problem samsung rs21 dgrs fridge freezer

the cooling fan on a samsung american fridge freezer model rs1 dgrs keeps freezing up.

Is there any way to stop this. Eg Are there any sensors which may be faulty.

I have cleared the ice from the fan which has helped but will this problem reocurr?

Thanks

Re: coolinf fan problem samsung rs21 dgrs fridge freezer

Hello to you too and warm welcome,

The problem might be that the defrost cycle is not working properly and therefore, ice build up is too much that reaches the fan. OR there is a hight rate of infiltration which brings in too much moisture. For this check the door gasket.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

scudder Guest

Hi Guys, just thouht I'd add to this thread by saying I have a samsung rs21dgrs model which has failed after 9 months. The engineer who came to fix it tells me that he has personally fixed 70 of this model over the past year with the same fault which is a design fault known to samsung. The problem appears to be a mechanical one in that there is insufficient contact between heat transmitting parts in the rear panel which was intended to prevent ice build up behind the internal rear panel. Ice builds up and eventually impedes the fan which in turn fails. They have introduced a modification to fix......however 7 days after a new fan unit was put in with this bodge our unit has started to make the same noise again. Not sure what will be their next move!

If it's just the fan icing up, ie the evap coil itself is clear of thick ice (meaning the defrost cycle obviously works), it's just a faulty blowing of the polystyrene insulation. Too much air in it which justs gets moisture and ice forming in it IMHO.
    Samsung have a dozen ideas on it saying otherwise, wanting better heater contact etc. But the older ones never had that problem so their answers don't make sense to me.
    Anyway, once the insulation becomes water logged and iced up, the only fix is a new evap cover.

If the coil is iced up thickly as well as the fan, it's either a burnt out heater, blown thermal fuse, or faulty coil temp sensor. Possibly the drain will be fully iced up as well and needs to be completely defrosted and cleared with hot water (usually takes 45min just to de-ice the drain, it's a big PITA job)

jadecroix Guest

Hi

I have the same problem and
    the coil is iced up thickly as well as the fan. After defrosting problem returns in about a couple of weeks.
    How do I know if its the thermalfuse, burnt out heater or the temp sensor

With a multimeter. Look for open circuits with the fridge power off. With the fridge powered on, measure the voltage across the sensor, should be higher than 2vdc if the coil is iced up.

edit:My money is on the coil sensor, if it was the heater or t/fuse open circuit, the temp display normally shows an error, or flashes. Sometimes the fridge might be warm, but the display reads cold, like 4 degrees, and when you turn the fridge off and back on, the temp display shows the correct temp ie 10 degrees or whatever it is inside.
    So if the display isn't playing up in any of those ways, it's the coil sensor fault usually, just measure the volts across it to be sure.
    Last edited by paul_h; 21-03-2008 at 03:41 AM.

hi bog
    if ur coil is clear from ice thats means yo dont have a defrost problem if that is ur case you can fit a small heater 10 watts around the fan frame&good luck
    best regards tony