Question Frick Micro Control Panel Problem

Hi all.
    We have a plant with several Frick screw compressor sets on. IP duty and LP pump recirc ammonia. We have a problem with one set in particular continually tripping on comp aux fault. These micro panels seem to have a reliability problem judging by the fault log history on the plant. We have to reinsert the settings quite often as they change themselves.
    Should we continue trying to get these to be reliable of look at converting them to plc control?
    The units have been in for approx six years.
    We have power conditioners on the power supplies and have changed some relays on the board.
    i haven't heard any good comments on these control panels.
    Anyone else had problems with them?

Re: Frick Micro Control Panel Problem

Welcome to the forum, derfriguy!
    If these are the older style, (not Quantum), I have never had problems with them holding there settings. They have had some reliability troubles however. Power supplies are always to be suspected.
    I have changed out several of the boards for reasons you mentioned.
    If you have problems with power interruptions and if the battery on the board is bad you can lose your settings.
    The Quantum panels are more complicated and run Linux as an operating system. If these are what you have, check with Frick for software updates. They display the software version number, so get that before you call.
    PLC control is difficult to set up unless you can do it yourself (I can't) Describing to a programmer what you need and having it come out right can be a problem.
    Personally I would install a FES Micro 3 panel and be done with it.

I have never had any bad problems with the Frick panels, we still have a few and a working great.

What is the comp aux failure?

As far as losing the settings, pwr supply problem and back up battery dead also.

If this is the RWB2 Plus they have issues losing program parameters. I have had defective sensers cause the parameters to change. The Quantem panels are pretty bulletproof.

They are the RWB2 Plus type. We have replaced the battery back up. i'm not sure how to explain what the comp aux is but my understanding of it is you have the option of using external controls to stop the compressor set. eg high level, soft starter trip. We have these as comp aux 1 it is comp aux 2 that is the mystery trip.

Thanks all.

I have the book on the Frick Panel someplace, but am getting ready for work. so it is not immediately at hand.
    Have you checked to see what the Aux 2 contacts are wired to?

Aux 1 and 2 can be wired to anything, pump aux switch, flow switch, starter, etc.

comp aux 2 not connected at all.