Thread: Unit Conversion

Thumbs up Unit Conversion

Hi everybody,

I think it would be better to have a "Unit conversion" section in this forum.
    If of course it would be possible to add a computer programme in the site.
    What I have in mind is this : we have a button at the top of the screen which says "Units" then clicking it will activate a programme which converts different units to each other.
    These kinds of programmes are available free in the net.
    (If I remember correctly, Marc had one in his site.)

Just a thought.
    Cheers

Even Einstein Asked Questions

Re: Unit Conversion

Google for "master converter". It's a shareware and it costs 15USD

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Theer are a lot of free convertors on the web already if you need one.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

There is an excellent unit converter called Uconeer, which can be downloaded for free from katmarsoftware.com.

I actually think that if we were disciplined enough to use a consistent format, that the software is out there to translate it automatically. For example, if I were to say a number (10) and followed it by a measurement (deg) and then another measurement (F) we could automatically have a parenthetical conversion such as (-12 deg C)

My difficulty is not in understanding or translating what units somebody else is using while they are describing a problem, but moreso into having to think ... break my alleged train of thought ... while having to convert my familiar units into units less familiar, when I am trying to provide an answer. If we all used the same abbreviation, or suffix consistently, there is no reason the software should not be able to provide the popular alternative. For example, whenever we use a pressure measurement, we use open parentheses, a number, then a value such as psig, or bar, then closed parentheses. This triggers the conversion in another set of parentheses. Or we just use a list format that begins with a unit of measurement that triggers the conversion:
    Psig = 16 then the Parenthetical conversion automatically is generated (Bar = 1.1)

I am less behooved to use the less familiar units when I am trying to answer a question at a level that requires more attention to just thinking straight.. than I am when I am asking the question.

I am already intimidated into using general terms such as "the boiling point of water" and such just to avoid the tower of Babel and try to drive my point. But automatic conversions would be wonderful.

It could be done with lookup tables as long as we had a trigger mechanism. We have those neat thingies that can turn our text into a quotation, or a list, or a link, or an image, why not one more that we wrap our units with and converts them. Basically, 80% of our needs would be met with the following:

1. Pressure - bar and psig
    2. Temperature - Deg F and Deg C
    3. Work - Btu/hr and Kw

I already see myself reluctant to provide input into questions because I feel pressured to manually translate units into units that I am familiar with back into units that were originally posted. I get halfway through the process and have completely forgotten the point I was trying to make.

Which, of course, could be a good thing, as often as not

But if we can make a smiley face with a quotation mark and a parenthesis, I see no reason we cannot automatically convert Imperial units into what we call the other ones.

Dear Dan,

Brilliant idea.
    I have nothing more to add.

My whole idea was to help people to post more quickly and conveniently.
    Everybody has a conversion tool. I also developed my own and use it all the time.

Best regards
    Lana
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Did you read my thread the other day?

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ead.php?t=7504

Try this one...

Multi function calc

http://www.megaconverter.com/mega2/
    Select what you want

Chillin
    Last edited by chillin out; 05-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by lana
    What I have in mind is this : we have a button at the top of the screen which says "Units" then clicking it will activate a programme which converts different units to each other.
    I like this idea. When I am replying to a post I sometimes forget to convert the units to SI. This is an old habit I try to keep on a short leash, but still, I am guilty of forgetting to do this.

I realize and undestand this makes it harder for others to follow my reasoning just as those who post in SI make me spend more time thinking about what their numbers mean.

If a small low-overhead unit convertor could be built into the "reply to thread controls" as a toolbar (or something) it would be very useful.

The basic units should consist of pressure, temperature, cooling capacity, volume, mass, area, and volume flow and mass flow for a starting point.

Is there any other common requirements without getting into esoteric units such as "hogheads", "fortenights" or "stones".
    If all else fails, ask for help.

I sent a suggestion to the creators of megacalculator - one of Chillin's sites. I asked them if automatic conversion or a toolbar would be feasible, along with a link to this thread. No harm in asking.