Thumbs up York YK Chiller Problem

Hi,
    I am currently working on a York Centrifugal chiller.This unit has a sub cooler in the condenser & we are having alot of leaks here so now we have decided to retube the sub cooler. The tubes sit on a baffle plate at each end & are supported at two different points inside by a type of mesh wire, now this is where the problem starts. the tubes are leaking at the points where the tubing sits on this mesh it is like the mesh is wearing it's way through the piping from vibration or whatever.We have done vibration analysis etc & all is normal. We usually only run the chiller on about 50/60% load as that is all the demand that is there.
    Just wondering if anybody else has come across this problem & if so how did you resolve it I know we are going to retube the chiller but the same thing is going to happen again.
    Also can anybody recommend a company in Ireland or the UK that are good at retubing shell & tube Condensers/Evaporators?

Thanks in advance

Re: York YK Chiller Problem

This may sound simple, but was the chiller condenser piped correctly? Outlet on top, inlet in the side. What is the age of the chiller?

This seems to be a common failure. I have heard of other people with the same failure.

Yes the condenser is piped correctly the unit was installed from new about 4 years ago, there are only 15,000 run time hours up on it. This is very soon for something as major as this happening. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I asked that because I have had two new start-ups in the past 6 months that have had that issue. The most recent case was an incorrectly drawn piping layout. The steel on the inlet and the outlet are stamped from the factory. Uses a little more kw per ton when its this way and also tkes a little longer to map itself. Your issue with the mesh supports is new to me though, they have typically used solid tubing dividers for support. Can you give me the full model and serial number so that I can look further into this problem?

fozzy Guest

Thumbs up Re: York YK Chiller Problem

I have just reviewed my training notes and technical manual notes for this product. There should NOT be a mesh in the subcooler, its surrounded by a steel box. YK chillers dont usually suffer from subcooler leaks, however if they are leaking and the unit was commissioned by York service and it has had the text book service maintenance carried out on it since commissioning...go back to the sales department for a latent warranty claim, get them to fix the manufacturing problem. But then you take the chance of York chasing the customer for a contract direct. Apart from myself doing the job with you, a retubing company with experience of York YK chillers is YIMPACT, based in Yorkshire England. ANything else let me know.

Which YK subcooler are you talking about? The older style external one that is a seperate bundle, or the new style internal one that's inside the shell below the condenser tubes?
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    I have just reviewed my training notes and technical manual notes for this product. There should NOT be a mesh in the subcooler, its surrounded by a steel box. YK chillers dont usually suffer from subcooler leaks, however if they are leaking and the unit was commissioned by York service and it has had the text book service maintenance carried out on it since commissioning...go back to the sales department for a latent warranty claim, get them to fix the manufacturing problem. But then you take the chance of York chasing the customer for a contract direct. Apart from myself doing the job with you, a retubing company with experience of York YK chillers is YIMPACT, based in Yorkshire England. ANything else let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Which YK subcooler are you talking about? The older style external one that is a seperate bundle, or the new style internal one that's inside the shell below the condenser tubes?

It's the new style one

Seenu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icebox View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently working on a York Centrifugal chiller.This unit has a sub cooler in the condenser & we are having alot of leaks here so now we have decided to retube the sub cooler. The tubes sit on a baffle plate at each end & are supported at two different points inside by a type of mesh wire, now this is where the problem starts. the tubes are leaking at the points where the tubing sits on this mesh it is like the mesh is wearing it's way through the piping from vibration or whatever.We have done vibration analysis etc & all is normal. We usually only run the chiller on about 50/60% load as that is all the demand that is there.
    Just wondering if anybody else has come across this problem & if so how did you resolve it I know we are going to retube the chiller but the same thing is going to happen again.
    Also can anybody recommend a company in Ireland or the UK that are good at retubing shell & tube Condensers/Evaporators?

Thanks in advance
    Hai Iam new to RE.I had read the YK Chiller sub cooler leakage problem, I want to know actually this wire mesh is supported to ? and if you remove this what will happens when baffles are there
    to suuport the pipe ?

I will recommend to carried out an eddy current test annually to the evaporator and condenser tubes to prevent unschedule breakdown to the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Seenu View Post
    Hai Iam new to RE.I had read the YK Chiller sub cooler leakage problem, I want to know actually this wire mesh is supported to ? and if you remove this what will happens when baffles are there
    to suuport the pipe ?
    The wire mesh is welded to the side of the codenser it is supporting the sub cooler piping only, if the mesh was removed which can't be done anyway the sub cooler pipework would just sag as it would only be supported on each end of the condenser leaving nothing in the middle. The tubing on the condenser itself is supported by proper baffle plates, it's just the sub cooler support that is different.

sarkis Guest

i need the manuel for my chiller. the york service manuel M1

When mentioned about Baffle Plates, it's suppose to be inside the tube shell with few baffle plates supporting the tubes. Both ends supporting the tubes are tubesheets.
    Just completed an Eddy Current Tube Inspection for the York Cooler and found the tube defected occur on the water inlet and outlet flow location. We retube the 19 tubes and noticed the Baffle Plates have worn out and cut deep into the tubes that caused leakage. To solve such problem extracted all tubes, cut out the tubesheet and excess into the shell to remove the baffle plates

The York Chiller Eddy Current Tubing Examination and Partial Retubing done Model YCWL12 of 17 years old.

If any parties require the photos of the baffle plates damaged by wear and tear, I have a few photos shown the location of the defect tubes, as well the damaged baffle plates.

We now planning to replace the baffle plates by cutting out the tubesheets and extracting out all tubes.

Please do not hesitate to contact for more information.