FRICK TDSH 233 Slide Valve and guide damaged

Question:

What do you do when you overhaul a Frick TDSH 193,233, 283 and there is a problem on the Slide Valve.

The Slide Valve has been touching the discharge housing ( the guide) and both of them are now damaged.
    On the top of the Slide Valve you can clearly see that they they are rotten, on the discharge housing there is maybe 3-4mm missing on the Slide Valve guide.

Somebody from York told me that there is no solutions for that.
    Or also I heard that I could change the Slide Valve and the discharge housing and it will be OK. ( even if the housing is normally appaired)

Let me know....

Re: FRICK TDSH 233 Slide Valve and guide damaged

Hi, 404cab

Quote Originally Posted by 404cab View Post

Question:

What do you do when you overhaul a Frick TDSH 193,233, 283 and there is a problem on the Slide Valve.

The Slide Valve has been touching the discharge housing ( the guide) and both of them are now damaged.
    On the top of the Slide Valve you can clearly see that they they are rotten, on the discharge housing there is maybe 3-4mm missing on the Slide Valve guide.

Somebody from York told me that there is no solutions for that.
    Or also I heard that I could change the Slide Valve and the discharge housing and it will be OK. ( even if the housing is normally appaired)

Let me know....
    Never had the same problem...

If both slide valve and discharge housing are damaged (and not repairable) I think you should replace them. Seems that is constructional mistake

You can put together new discharge housing because you use pins for alignment and that must be without any problem, but check that with Frick.

Sorry, cannot give you any other good advice

BTW do you have overhaul manual (cross sectional drawings, list of parts, description how to... for Frick TDSH compressors? I need one urgently to do an overhaul. Send me PM, please.
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ead.php?t=7400

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

It happened quite frequently on Refcomp SRC-S first series.
    If the housing is deeply damaged, there's nothing to do but replace the compressor. If the slide valve is damaged, than just replaced the piston or the gasket.

Hello,

I am surprised not to have more answers on that one, I think that the remarks from NoNickName is not applicable here, Refcomp is not the same that Frick.

Has anybody ever change the discharge housing on a FRICK TDSH or YORK YCCH compressor, whatever size ????

We have sucessfully had the housing/guide welded and ground. This was done by a company that does alot of this sort of thing on Screw compressors.

You should be able to change the slide valve and the discharge housing, were the rotors damaged in any way?

If the rotors have been damaged you are SOL.

I would think the compression groves on the rotors would be worn off if theres that much damage to the compresser.
    Quote Originally Posted by nh3wizard View Post
    You should be able to change the slide valve and the discharge housing, were the rotors damaged in any way?

If the rotors have been damaged you are SOL.

Hello,

The damages on the rotors are very small, but the guide of the slide valve is so damaged that if we don't change the discharge housing a new slide valve would touch the rotors.

I don't know if Frick is adjusting (with machinery work) the Slide Valve support on the housing after installing the discharge housing.

Slide Valves will rock in the casing bore, and the rock clearance ( slide valve to guide of discharge casing) will be measured and make sure it's below 0.127mm. FRICK do this way.

Hello Hammurabi,

this is a common problem on the Frick screws. We repair the discharge housing by means of spraymetal method and use a caliber with a little bit larger diameter than needed and grind it down. After that the housing and slidevalve are manually grinded to fit perfectly. Up till now and after about 20 Frick overhauls we have never had a compressor in with cap.slide problems. The spraymetal material is a special alloy which will make sure that slide and housing will not wear out easily. It is not a cheap and fast (about 1 working week) repairjob but it is far more cheaper than renewing discharge casing and slide valve.

The Screwdoctor