Thread: NH3 vacuum pump

NH3 vacuum pump

Hi,

Need your opinion/advice which good type of ammonia vacuum pump/recovery unit to buy?

Some links, experiences good/bad.....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Re: NH3 vacuum pump

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi,

Need your opinion/advice which good type of ammonia vacuum pump/recovery unit to buy?

Some links, experiences good/bad.....

Best regards, Josip

Vacuum pumps - BOC Edwards. http://www.bocedwards.com/
    Oil-Sealed Pumps - RV, EM and EV Series

Can be specified for ammonia with steel internals. Bloody heavy though if you are dragging it up to a condenser on a roof.... Pretty bomb proof providing you protect it from dirt ingress by using a catch tank and an in-line filter. Make sure it doesn't get hit by much in the way of positive pressure on the suction side. Easy to rebuild

I have seen various chemical pumps used for ammonia, but none fitted on a recovery unit as such. One make I have used is Viking doing about 200kg/hr for a single phase 240vac motor
    http://www.vikingpump.com/Applications/applications.htm

Units I have come across on refrigerant and other applications again have been bomb proof, easy to service, and can easily be fitted with strainers ( a must have IMHO), etc to protect the pump. Will also deal with any oil and water that come with the liquid.

Steve

Re: NH3 vacuum pump

Hi josip, Have a look at a post by dai kin on the 8-3-2007. I posted an reply about the the pumps we use on ammonia systems and they take some stick at times, but change the oil and filters they seem to keep working OK.
    Arthur.