Question 30 Years Old And Needs To Go

Compound Ammonia Screw Compressor controls made by ASEA / STAL...can't find parts or service any more. QMAT-503, QAL8-111, QAPS-110, QALP-210, etc. (Monitors inputs and operates capacity slide valves, etc) What systems come "recommended" as replacements for these old controls? Brands, types, part #s, websites. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Can't really help with the technical data here but there are a good many PLC's out that could easily do what you need there.
    I have seen many industrial machines controlled by PLC's and custom programmed to the specific application, mostly recip's. but I don't see why you couldn't do a screw. The problems you may have will be with the associated inputs and outputs i.e. sensors and start/stop commands, slide valve operation, and also the specific program. Making sure the type of input/outputs match and the ranges, etc. There are too many vendors to list them all, but start with one in your area that has proven reputation and good support that will be there for you. Not a cheap endeavor by any means, but maybe the only way out. Some of the PLC's I have seen can also be communicated with remotely allowing the user to view conditions and or modify setpoints, start/ stop. Others you had to have a laptop and the program for that particular PLC to access it. If you talk with the vendors and tell them what you want to do they may very well be able to help you.
    Mike Hopkins

PLC SOUNDS GOOD...

Thanks. Wasn't sure if I needed to go with a special controller designed for refrigeration applications or if a PLC would suffice. I have considerable experience with PLC systems (non-refrigeration) so selecting brands and components won't be a problem.