"Life" of a Refrigerant

Hi..Everybody
    I do not know if it is right to ask this question here in this forum!!
    I would like to know whether the heat conducting properties of a refrigerant will reduce after prolonged use? Then how often we should replace/ recharge the refrigerant? Are there any data available?
    With regards
    Rayin

Re: "Life" of a Refrigerant

Refrigerant does not wear out.

It can however be contaminated by acid, water, oil, or other compounds that could affect the properties.

If the refrigerant does not get contaminated by other factors as mentioned above, the initial refrigerant should not have to be changed.

The other concern is if the refrigerant is one of the new blends. If so, you could have problems with operation if a leak were to develop as the various refrigerants used to create the blend create a different composition.
    Last edited by US Iceman; 10-03-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: editing
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Thank You US Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    Refrigerant does not wear out ... It can however be contaminated by acid, water, oil, or other compounds that could affect the properties.
    Worn out is probably not the right words for a refrigerant since it is not being abraided like a machine surface.

If a refrigerant were overheated, would it not change chemical composition and be damaged (or "worn out")?

This would be the process followed when chemicals like these are incinerated.

If the compressor motor windings sparked, could this not burn the refrigerant?

(side issue: We had a talk from a guy who incinerated chemicals for a living. For our society, he concentrated on refrigerants and announced proudly how many kg's of R12 he destroyed. But it got me wondering. There are still many plants using R12 here and I'm sure that plant managers would love to have that R12 in stock.)

I took the definition of "worn out" to mean a degradation of performance after repeated use. That does not apply to any refrigerant.

Saying a chemical decomposition or fundamental change of the chemcial structure is similar to worn out confuses the separate issues.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

I agree, degradation of performance is more appropriate.