Thread: Cement dust

hwelect Guest

Cement dust

Have a problem with condensers on the a/c systems on excavators working in large sheds moving cement on to conveyors.the dust with moisture clogs the condensers finns and the a/c ceases to function.despite the addition of filters and fans the problem does not stop.could the condenser be electrostatically charged to prevent the dust molecule from landing on the condenser ? It will have to be isolated from the machine. Any thoughts.

Re: Cement dust

I don,t know about the electrostatic charge idea but some of the dairy equipment i work on periodically runs the condenser fans backwards to clear any dust that has accumilated on them.

Quote Originally Posted by hwelect View Post
    Have a problem with condensers .the dust with moisture clogs the condensers finns and the a/c ceases to function.
    what is the function of the device, cooling or heating ??

if it is in heating mode than the condenser is wet.maybe add a cind of sprinkler system,so the condenser will be clean of cement dust. add a timer and set it for 30 seconds each 2 minutes or so. make a wet case so you can catch the water...........or something like that.

Ice

I don't know anything about the concept of using electrostatic charges to repel the cement dust, but I can comment on cement dust itself.

Before I finished school I worked in a batch plant that mixed concrete for pre-stressed building components. That was a job from hell. The cement dust gets into everything and on everything. It does not even have to have free water available for it to coat surfaces, it will pull moisture from the atmosphere and eventually harden.

Any filter used would have to be a HEPA style filter I think because of the particle sizes of the cement dust.

The best thing I can think of is to relocate the condensers as far away as practical from the source of the dust.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Guys, he is talking about a big digger so he won't be able to relocate the condenser.

I had a similar problem with loaders in straw fields once. The rads would get clogged up with straw and the machines would over heat. Unfortunately there is sometimes no other solution than frequent cleaning.

Your advantage over my problem is that the operator is the one suffering and not the machine so they may be persuaded to do frequent maintenance for their own comfort.

The guys I was working with were on piece work so they just rumbled on until the engine heat seized.

Have you thought of putting a bigger condenser with wider fin spaces? While it won't solve the problem it will make cleaning easier and maybe it would take longer before the dust built up to a problematic level.