Carrier 19XR Centrifs

Visiting a job next week suffering from impellers smashing up,very costly.Has anyone experienced this before on these chillers I suspect it is surge but there are a few other symptoms that manifest themselves as surge also.Any input would be greatly appreciated.I am sorry I can't give anymore info than this as I haven't visited site yet.Hope you guys can help.
    WKD

Re: Carrier 19XR Centrifs

This is most likely a surge related crash. Probably chewed up the pads in the Kingsbury thrust.

Yup, might probably due to poor lubrication too, thus abnormal wear on the thrust bearings shim that cause excessive clearance that cause the impeller to smash against volute wall.

Factors contributing to surge symptoms;
    Low surge.
    High Surge.
    NC in the system.
    Guide vane operation.

mshakeel45 Guest

why oil migration in 19xr centrifiu. chiller in stand by chiller.if anybody have knowlage please reply me. thanks.

OIL MIGRATION STOP THE MACHINE IS DUE TO RETURN TO THE OIL SOLENOID NOT TO CLOSE DURING, another reason to break the EDUCTOR DRIVE IS THAT THE OIL WILL NOT WORK

Oil migration stop the machine is due to return to the oil solenoid not close during the stop, otherwise that break the drive is that the oil eductor not work

Quote Originally Posted by wkd View Post
    Visiting a job next week suffering from impellers smashing up,very costly.Has anyone experienced this before on these chillers I suspect it is surge but there are a few other symptoms that manifest themselves as surge also.Any input would be greatly appreciated.I am sorry I can't give anymore info than this as I haven't visited site yet.Hope you guys can help.
    WKD
    Hi there most probably this is caused by surge !!!very rarley it could happen during power problems when u have very short dips or shorts upstream.
    personaly i would check surge conditiones meaning water temp and load
    good luck!!
    THE DEFINITION OF A SMART PERSON IS ONE WHOM LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goshen View Post
    Hi there most probably this is caused by surge !!!very rarley it could happen during power problems when u have very short dips or shorts upstream.
    personaly i would check surge conditiones meaning water temp and load
    good luck!!
    The 19XR doesn't tolerate condenser water temps at part load that are too high and will part load surge. The CW temps are run lower than the low pressure machines. The 19XR can tolerate lift of 16dC in theory, but at part load say 60% I've seen them surge at 26 dC condenser water into the vessel. Make sure your flow rates are good and as per design as well. If you are smashing impellers, then it will probably be as a result of extended surge, or possibly poor lubrication as mentioned. For oil migration, the pnly practical way to get the oil back if you are short cycling and pumping it to the cooler is to bridge out the discharge superheat transducer and run the machine for the day. Monitor it VERY carefully and you should get your oil back.
    a problem shared is a problem halved

Hello Members

Would anyone have a parts list for 19XR compressor so I can select parts for a rebuild.

Thanks Alan
    alanwwolfy1@hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by alan wolf View Post
    Hello Members

Would anyone have a parts list for 19XR compressor so I can select parts for a rebuild.

Thanks Alan
    alanwwolfy1@hotmail.co.uk
    Which frame are you referring to. I have all the parts lists, but they are different depending on the fram type of the chiller. Alternatively send me the full model number and I can identify the cooler and condenser size and get the frame id off that.

Cheers
    a problem shared is a problem halved

much valuble imformation as above , but I am suprised no one mensioned daybree from the evap being sucked up , question , how many times has the centriff been stripped down? how many times has the suction elbow been removed ? has the suctionopening on the evap ALLWAYS been covered? how many screws have fallen into the evap?
    do modern centriffs have a wire mesh inserted to stop items hitting the impella? what is the rpm of the impell
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    much valuble imformation as above , but I am suprised no one mensioned daybree from the evap being sucked up , question , how many times has the centriff been stripped down? how many times has the suction elbow been removed ? has the suctionopening on the evap ALLWAYS been covered? how many screws have fallen into the evap?
    do modern centriffs have a wire mesh inserted to stop items hitting the impella? what is the rpm of the impell
    ?
    Hi sedgy :
    that is a deffinete yes ,all the units we took apart had a wire mesh !trane & carrier
    when a screw is left in the system, the first item to be hit would be the guide vane,even if it was totaly open, a debree hit is quite distinctive,after a surge condition that trashes the impelors you see the markings, on the sides of the impeller housing .
    THE DEFINITION OF A SMART PERSON IS ONE WHOM LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES!!!

hi goshen,
    it was just a thought , I was dreaming of years long past, working on westinghouse centrifs, in the days before lectric was invented < we had to work in candle light< lol
    keep up the good work ,sedgy,