modengineer Guest

Thumbs up Converting an ac to a heatpump

First of all, Hello to all, finally i've found a place where i am likely to get specific guidance.

Hi, I'm no refrigeration engineer, but its a subject which is of much interest.

I am planning on converting my split ac unit (1.5 ton) (indoor and outdoor unit) to a heat pump?

I am planning on using the existing outdoor unit, replacing the condenser part with a large condenser coil buried underground and hope that this will increase the cooling capacity so that i can attach more indoor cooling units to this single compressor unit. Will this increase the cooling capacity (if so give any advice on the condenser coil size etc) or am i just going to waste my money. The work is to be carried out by an unqualified but experienced refrigeration engineer.
    If i am going to suggest anything I need to know myself. I.ve got the above idea from reading about heatpumps with condenser pipes buried underground.

Urgent help is needed as I am starting work tomorrow!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Converting an ac to a heatpump

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think that if your 'experienced refrigeration engieer' if going along with your plan then it is time to find someone else.

The cooling capacity of your ac unit is based around the size of the compressor not the size of the condenser coil.

You can add as many indoor units as you wish but the overall cooling capacity will remain the same - 1.5ton single or 3 x 0.5ton units. The additional pipework and equipment costs to add these units would outweigh any hoped for benefits.

The outdoor unit will also require major modification to convert it from cooling only to heat pump duty.

May we also ask what refrigerant it is currently running on?

Your best bet, if you want to persue this path is to investigate the purchase of new, dedicated equipment.

Sorry to pour water on your fire but I think that this project is doomed to failure.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

modengineer Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify, I am thinking of using the new unit for cooling only, and the condenser runs quite hot at the moment, so wouldn't a cooler condenser enable better cooling inside the home from the cooling units.

modengineer Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify, I am thinking of using the new unit for cooling only, and the condenser runs quite hot at the moment, so wouldn't a cooler condenser enable better cooling inside the home from the cooling units.

Cooling only as in your second post, or heatpump as in the heading?

Whatever, you can not bury the fridge pipes, you will need a heat exchanger and a pump to circulate a glycol/water mixture in the ground collector.

Here in UK, there are no benefits for an A/C system to have a ground source condensor.
    If you are looking at a heatpump then I'm with Brian - Get the right kit to start with. (will be cheaper in the long run)

BTW, in heatpump applications its the Evaporator that's going outside.

Also, BE AWARE, under new legislation you as the end user can suffer legal consequence for using unqualified engineers to carry out fridge work.

There Are Geo Thermal Units Out There But Why.