Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Compressor Pump Down

I need to replace a combination pressure (high & low) switch on a compressor.

I realize that the refrigerant must be pumped into the LIQUID RECEIVER and isolated before I open the system.

Q: Do I pump ALL the refrigerant into the liquid receiver (i.e. open the suction service valve)?

Q: Will the compressor trip the high pressure switch if the refrigerant is trapped in the liquid receiver?

Q: What is the procedure to recharge the compressor with refrigerant?

Thanks,
    KETTLER

Re: Compressor Pump Down

Yes. Close the liquid outlet valve of the receiver and let the compressor run. Details:

Have your gauges connected to both the low and high side of the compressor.

Watch the high side to insure that the receiver does not fill up with liquid and cause your discharge pressure to rise above a reasonable level because it is rising into the condenser.
    Relieve the high side pressure into the suction and do another pump down cycle. If all is well, you have a small amount of vapor to recover with your recovery unit.

I am sure there are other techniques used by others. I will read their responses to see if there are better ways.

Thanks Dan,

So it appears you're telling me to keep the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE open and close the SERVICE VALVE on the liquid receiver?

If the head pressure rises too high (350 psi+) I should bleed off some gas from the liquid receiver into the evaporator? Should I close the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE before I bleed the gas?

Do I pull a 500 micron vacuum on the compressor head and then charge it with some refrigerant after I install the new pressure switches?

Thanks,
    KETTLER

Quote Originally Posted by KETTLER View Post
    Thanks Dan,

Do I pull a 500 micron vacuum on the compressor head and then charge it with some refrigerant after I install the new pressure switches?

Thanks,
    KETTLER
    Where is the hp / lp switch fed from.
    You need to be careful because if they are fed from the service valves then it is important to know how the valve is seated.
    If the switches are fed straight from the comp body then just isolate the comp, valve off the comp from the pipework and then remove the gas from the comp. Change the switches and pressure test. Then vac the body of the comp. Open system up and run on test.

taz.

Thanks Taz,

The pressure switches are attached to the COMPRESSOR HEAD cover.

Will I be able to save refrigerant if I pump it into the LIQUID RECEIVER before I isolate and open the compressor?

Can the compressor pump all the refrigerant into the LIQUID RECEIVER and CONDENSER without undergoing a high pressure failure?

KETTLER

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Will I be able to save refrigerant if I pump it into the LIQUID RECEIVER before I isolate and open the compressor?
    You should be able to, it depends on the size of the system charge in relation to the capacity of the receiver etc.

Can the compressor pump all the refrigerant into the LIQUID RECEIVER and CONDENSER without undergoing a high pressure failure?
    Hopefully, try and keep the condenser fan running at high speed to minimise head pressure rise if possible.

Also, bypass the low pressure switch the allow the compressor to run as the suction pressure drops during the pump down.

As an afterthought it might be worth while trying to fit schraeder valves to the compressor head before you recconnect your new pressure switches. This will allow easier access next time.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 14-02-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thanks Taz,

KETTLER

I would just shut the suction valve while the comp is running. Then when the comp shuts down shut the discharge valve. The amount of gas in the comp will be minimal. To get the pressure even lower short out the lp switch and let the comp run into a vac. When all valves are closed vent the discharge gas from the comp head back to the suction and that will reduce further any gas loses.
    Change the switches and then test like normal.

taz.

g day kettler
    try this, put your gauges on the comp high and low sides... now front seat the suction service valve an let the comp cut out on the LP control.....if it stops above 0 psig short out the LP control and let the comp run till you get to 0 psig [a tiny bit higher is good no crap gets sucked in the system] now turn the comp off....front seat the discharge service valve....bleed the pressure from the high side to the low side....you should now have bugger all pressure in the comp....change the HPLP control... when you have done that close your gauges an crack the suction valve.....purge a puff or two from the high side gauge line to be sure thre is no air left in the comp head....now open both service valves an kick the bugger in the guts...test the operation of the new control an fine tune if needed...dont touch your liquid line service valve... you only need to isolate the comp...now thats done grab a ice beer from the esky.....good luck mate

Thumbs up Re: Compressor Pump Down

Thanks MRC Guts!

How will my LP gauge read the pressure in the compressor head if I close the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE?

I really like your idea to purge the air out of the compressor head using the HP gauge hose. Excellent!

KETTLER

How will my LP gauge read the pressure in the compressor head if I close the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE?
    It wont. It will read crankcase pressure.

1. ignore any liquid valves.

2. Close (frontseat) the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE.
    3. Bypass the LOW PRESSURE SWITCH.
    4. Run the compressor until a vacuum is achieved.
    5. Close the DISCHARGE SERVICE VALVE on the compressor.

6.Vent high to low through the manifold set. I.E. cap off the yellow line and open both blue and red wheels. pressure should now be low on both sides (2 to 5 psi maybe). change switches and open valves. run and set switches.
    7. pub.

sling.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post

6.Vent high to low through the manifold set. I.E. cap off the yellow line and open both blue and red wheels. pressure should now be low on both sides (2 to 5 psi maybe). change switches and open valves. run and set switches.

sling.
    slingblade,

I really like your quick-and-easy proceedure; however, what's the purpose of venting high to low? All I care about is getting the gas out of the compressor head before I remove the switch probes. Correct?

Then, after the new probes are installed, I can purge out the air through my gauge set by cracking open the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE. Correct?

KETTLER

I need to replace a combination pressure (high & low) switch on a compressor.
    Where is the hp / lp switch fed from.
    How can you have the high and low pressure tappings connected to the compressor head?

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    How can you have the high and low pressure tappings connected to the compressor head?

On most semi-hermetic comps there is an access plug to both HP and LP side of the head. they take there pressure from the low side and high side of the cylinder head.
    You can just about see the two plugs on this comp

Cheers taz

Awesome TAZ!

How did you paste that pic in your message? What about diagrams, bmp's, etc?

KETTLER

Question Re: Compressor Pump Down

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    On most semi-hermetic comps there is an access plug to both HP and LP side of the head. they take there pressure from the low side and high side of the cylinder head.

Cheers taz

taz,

How can the compressore HEAD have a LP access port? Isn't the HEAD the space above the piston?

KETTLER

g day kettler
    i dont want to be rude or offend but this is basic friggie stuff mate....how service valves work an whats in comp is first year stuff...i am concerned for your safety and the safety of others...if you dont have a clear understanding of the equipment you are working with get someone who does to help you and teach you...sorry if this sounds a bit hard but you can get hurt if you do it wrong

Exclamation Re: Compressor Pump Down

Thanks MRC Guts. I'm educated, experienced, and certified in refrigeration; however, I don't know EVERYTHING. I like to thoroughly think things through before I start turning wrenches.

I think you can see from this string that there are many ways to 'skin a cat'.

KETTLER

LRAC is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Thanks MRC Guts. I'm educated, experienced, and certified in refrigeration; however, I don't know EVERYTHING. I like to thoroughly think things through before I start turning wrenches.
    KETTLER
    Certified in refrigeration i think you meant Certifiable.

Lrac

I have been following this thread with interest. I choose not to respond to this initially because of the nature of the basic question. One of the members mentioned this is "first year stuff" and he is exactly right.

If a person has been working on refrigeration systems for some time and does not know how to pump down a compressor, something is wrong with this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by KETTLER
    Never, ever assume this. Just because you get multiple opinions on how to do something does not mean they are all correct. That's a dangerous way to service systems I'm afraid.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Exclamation Re: Compressor Pump Down

Cheers to ya all,

Iceman n LRAC are definitely right.
    We don't need schools, university and educator now do we.
    This guy says he has had knowledge and experience and oh my god, ''CERTIFICATE''
    And yet he can't perform pump down, maybe, he may be able to conduct liquid transfer.
    As sherlock says, ''Elementary my dear Watson''.

Good luck ya all
    Adios Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by MRC Guts View Post
    g day kettler
    i dont want to be rude or offend but this is basic friggie stuff mate....how service valves work an whats in comp is first year stuff...i am concerned for your safety and the safety of others...if you dont have a clear understanding of the equipment you are working with get someone who does to help you and teach you...sorry if this sounds a bit hard but you can get hurt if you do it wrong
    For all the forum members sanity and thoughts stop giving Kettler advice he's going to kill himself or the poor person next to him. Next he'll be asking which way the wires go on?

Regards
    Lrac

Smile Re: Compressor Pump Down ---> PROCEDURE

Hi All,

Many thanks to those of you who have CONSTRUCTIVELY participated in this THREAD! I realize some of my questions and comments have been simplistic, and, I appreciate your POSITIVE indulgence.

My research has led to the adoption of the following procedure:

1. Check that both SUCTION & DISCHARGE SERVICE VALVES are back-seated and connect service gauges.

2. Close (front-seat) the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE.

3. Jumper the LP switch.

4. Run the compressor until a slight vacuum is achieved on the SUCTION side of the compressor head.

5. Front-seat the DISCHARGE SERVICE VALVE.

6. Equalize the HP/LP pressures through the gauge manifold (center gauge line capped).

7. Replace the combination LP/HP switch.

8. Crack open the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE and purge the compressor head through the gauge manifold (center line open).

9. Backseat both SERVICE VALVES and remove the gauges.

10. Run the compressor.

KETTLER

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Compressor Pump Down ---> PROCEDURE

Hi All,

Many thanks to those of you who have CONSTRUCTIVELY participated in this THREAD! I realize some of my questions and comments have been simplistic, and, I appreciate your POSITIVE indulgence.

My research has led to the adoption of the following procedure:

1. Check that both SUCTION & DISCHARGE SERVICE VALVES are back-seated and connect service gauges.

2. Close (front-seat) the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE.

3. Jumper the LP switch.

4. Run the compressor until a slight vacuum is achieved on the SUCTION side of the compressor head.

5. Front-seat the DISCHARGE SERVICE VALVE.

6. Equalize the HP/LP pressures through the gauge manifold (center gauge line capped).

7. Replace the combination LP/HP switch.

8. Crack open the SUCTION SERVICE VALVE and purge the compressor head through the gauge manifold (center line open).

9. Backseat both SERVICE VALVES and remove the gauges.

10. Run the compressor.

KETTLER
    And still he gets it wrong

Kettler after ALL OF YOUR SARCASTIC comments aimed at people who are concerned for your safety and the environment you still do it wrong, I am amazed

Re-read your list above and tell us ALL why you performed No. 8 instead of doing it properly.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 01-03-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Spelling doh!
    Retired March 2015

Hi, Brian_UK

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post

Kettler after ALL OF YOUR SARCASTIC comments aimed at people who are concerned for your safety and the environment you still do it wrong, I am amazed

Re-read you list above and tell us ALL why you performed No. 8 instead of doing it properly.
    See my sig

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Angry Re: Compressor Pump Down ---> PROCEDURE

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post

Re-read your list above and tell us ALL why you performed No. 8 instead of doing it properly.

First off, I made no sarcastic comments. It was YOU folks who used my inexperience and simple questions to validate yourselves by shamming me.

Second, step 8 is intended to purge the air from the compressor head, and, was given to me by someone else on this thread.

I actually purged the air from the head using an R22 bottle. I fed the refrigerant through the suction service valve access port and bled it out from the discharge service valve access port.

What kind of people are YOU? I thought this was a dignified website!
    Do you conduct business in the manner I experienced? Very poor.

I think you people are the amatures!

KETTLER

KETTLER
    Well that last statement has been your problem all the way. You are completly incompetent at what you are doing and do not deserve any help from forum members in the future.

In your tiny mind you may think that you can do the job but honestly you are the pits,your skills are none existent and your attitude stinks.

Enough said to a complete looser
    Lrac

First off, I made no sarcastic comments. It was YOU folks who used my inexperience and simple questions to validate yourselves by shamming me.

Second, step 8 is intended to purge the air from the compressor head, and, was given to me by someone else on this thread.

I actually purged the air from the head using an R22 bottle. I fed the refrigerant through the suction service valve access port and bled it out from the discharge service valve access port.

KETTLER
    KETTLER
    It is illegal to knowingly vent refrigerant, you should have used a vacumn pump. If the EPA comes accross this post they will have fun putting you through the courts.

I'm sorry but after one year working at refrigeration any apprentice should know you.

If someone posted on this thread inviting you to purge refrigerant I would say shame on them

KETTLER please go and get training so that you can work at refrigeration without ruining the enviroment for all of us

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

Hi, Kettler

All said was with intention to help you and sometimes some joke is inevitable , NHF, please

There are teachers and teachers...

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman
    Just because you get multiple opinions on how to do something does not mean they are all correct.
    It was possible to ask HOW if you were in doubt.

This is forbidden way, you should use vacuum pump for this to contribute to care about your environment and your family, neighbors, etc.

So we are bad people, because we tell you what you did wrong. What about so many answers trying to teach and help you to do your job properly

KETTLER
    Don't know what to say, but coming here asking maybe some "silly" questions getting relevant answers:

Quote Originally Posted by MRC Guts
    g day kettler
    where people take care about you I do not think this can come from some amateurs but you do

Please think again, about all, and admit your mistakes (at least to yourself) and you'll see we are not so bad guys.

Hope you will not misinterpret all of this

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Maybe I don't skin a cat.
    Because I smell a rat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by: taz24

I would just shut the suction valve while the comp is running. ..........

Well done Taz, trust you to spot the most obvious solution

I feel such a ****
    Of course. Those who suggested simply isolating the compressor have the best method.

hi there!
    Option 1. recover all the refrigerant if you are familiar with the process.

If there is a shut-oof valve on both inlet and outlet of receiver then apply this procedure
    Option 2. Pumpdown the refigerant. meaning
    1.-connect your gauges to the compressor valves while both on back seat.

2.-Front seat(close) the valve after the liquid receiver.
    3.-adjust cut-out pressure on LP switch to cut at
    pressure below vacuum.
    4. connect your gauge manifold to the compressor valves (HP and LP). Use a vacuum pump to remove air from the gauge lines with the compressor valves front- seated(close).
    5.Then open the valves to almost intermediate position which will allow reading to be registerred on the gauge scale and also allow you to quickly close them later.
    6. Run the unit and pumpdown will begin if the compressor cut-out too early on the LP swith , then readjust the cut-out pressure to cut out at a pressure under vacuum. Close (Frontseat) inlet of receiver.You will not be able to recover the left over a 100%. Then the decision is left with you
    7.When the compressor cuts-out on a pressure below vacuum, then quickly front-seat both compressor valves

Thank you. I appreciate the CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

KETTLER

Make sure the Lp and Hp parts of your dual Lp/Hp switch are the same way round if you are replacing it with a different make of switch. Ive seen danfoss ones replaced with ranco and on one the lp is on the lefthand side and on the other it was on the rigthhand side, so when changed it had the Lp hose going to the Hp switch and vice versa.
    And any connections you disturb really need pressure testing with OFN to be sure you have no leaks and the evacuating.

Cheers Jon
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 19-02-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: dog stood on keys and posted before finished

Thanks Jon,

I appreciate the heads-up!

I'll add the following step to my procedure:

8a. Leak test the LP/HP fittings.

KETTLER

Thanks Jon,

I appreciate the heads-up!

I'll add the following step to my procedure:

8a. Leak test the LP/HP fittings.

KETTLER
    Set the switches up with a hand pump or OFN before you connect them up.
    It will save you a lot of time latter on.
    taz.

Question Re: Compressor Pump Down

Thanks Taz.

What's an "OFN"?

KETTLER

Thanks Taz.

What's an "OFN"?

KETTLER
    In the UK we use OFN for pressure testing, purging while brazing, blowing condensers clean and things like that.

OFN = oxygen free nitrogen.
    It is also dehumidified so OFN can be known as dry nitrogen.

Cheers taz.

kr1664uk Guest

I am also new to the game,but the thing that would give me a scare is the fact you didnt even know what ofn was..thats first wek stuff never mind first year...

Sorry fella but...

Quote Originally Posted by kettler View Post
    thanks taz.

What's an "ofn"?

Kettler

So true, oh so true
    Retired March 2015

Hi Kettler

Your opinion of me is'nt me, its just your opinion
    Out of the six billion people on the planet surely one will think i'm an idiot, now he's got a name

Cheers Jon

I hate to see a good discussion go down the drain such as this one has.

I saw some good advice and I saw you accepting it. Perhaps too much good advice caused the confusion. Let's not be angry with one another.

excellent thread , excellent forum , keep it up

WHY DO I GET THE FEELING KETTLER KNEW HOW TO DO THE PROCUDURE BEFORE HE POSTED THE QUESTION

could he have been testing us ?

DID YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THE PROCEDURE BEFORE POSTING MR KETTLER ?

MANY THANKS

Better yet, slap any A-Hole you see venting with a crow bar hard enough he'll never vent again! I like breathing air, and I like going into the sun with out SPF-2,000,000,456 SunBlock

if refrigerant were killing the planet i would think there would be a harsher punnishment for venting. any ways i have enough carbon credits to vent untill i retire if i did that sort of thing

sorry i cant spell so well me sort of dumm

Quote Originally Posted by chefid View Post
    sorry i cant spell so well me sort of dumm
    Your spelling has been impeccible up till now, I suspect false claims here.
    Retired March 2015

Hi Guys,

Good Evening,

I am new member to this forum.i am happy to communicate all members.

I am just confused to post a new theads.Kindly mail me the procedures.

Thank you,
    Jeyakumar.T

Welcome from Belgium. Read once http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co..._user_maintain
    We have a special section for new members http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...splay.php?f=72
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

penamante Guest

hi guys,
    good day!!

Im new member of this forum and i would like or kindly help how can i start to open regarding refrigeration discussion..

thanks a lot,
    philip

At the top of each page, you will find the link FORUM.
    Click on it, search the right section, don't post an airco related question into the NH3 section. Click on that section an then you ill see on the top of that page NEW THREAD. That's all
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast