cleaning of NH3 piping

dear all
    i am overhauling NH3 system 280 tons(scew type). before i charged with NH3 and refrigeration oil(2 barells), i want to clean the piping and exchangers from rust and debrises; my inquiry is:could i charge the system with(air compressor oil) and run the compressor without charging it with NH3 for several hours ?then i drain the (air compressor oil )and charged with NH3 and refrigeration oil for normal operation.
    thanks and all regards

Re: cleaning of NH3 piping

afeef,

Nh3 system, what type, Sabroe, Mycom, Gram, Grasso...etc.
    Which system make and model?

Cheers AMIGO

dear abdulazman
    the type of compressor do not affect my inquiry ,however it is HOWDEN double screw compressor
    thanks for your intrest

Afeef;
    I am not following quite what you want to do here.
    If I understand, you want to run the Compressor with a different oil and without Refrigerant. Or do you wish to only run the oil pump?
    Do you wish to use the air compressor oil because you feel it will clean more effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by afeef View Post
    dear all
    i am overhauling NH3 system 280 tons(scew type). before i charged with NH3 and refrigeration oil(2 barells), i want to clean the piping and exchangers from rust and debrises; my inquiry is:could i charge the system with(air compressor oil) and run the compressor without charging it with NH3 for several hours ?then i drain the (air compressor oil )and charged with NH3 and refrigeration oil for normal operation.
    thanks and all regards
    afeef

in a word NO, the moisture in the air will do more harm than good. The water out of the air will collect in the low side of the system.

The compressor overheat on air and carry the oil around the system, you could even cause the compressor to melt

If you then release it you will have a potentially explosive mixture of air and oil.

You could always blow it through with some Oxygen Free Nitrogen, that is what I would do normally in any system prior to evacuation.

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

I would not recommend the use of air. I also would not suggest you run the compressor with air in the system, or opened to the ambient.

If the system has been closed/sealed and now you want to start it again, here is what I might recommend:

Change the oil filters to new ones.

Install some oil into the oil separator. Just enough to run the oil pump ONLY. Then let the pump run and circulate the oil through the oil separator. You could shut off the oil injection valves so that no dirt is pumped into the compressor or shaft seal.

The new oil and filters will pick up most of the junk in the compressor package. After 24 hours or so, I would drain all of the oil and blow out the compressor package with dry nitrogen to push as much dirt out of the low points of the system.

After doing this I would install new coalescers in the separator, new oil filters, and clean all of the strainers (suction, oil, & Refrigerant).

Pump in the new oil to raise the oil level in the separator and let the oil warm up. It is probably a good idea to evacuate the system to try to remove moisture, before charging the ammonia.

After checking all of the safeties and controls and starters I think you could go ahead and try to start the compressor, BUT, watch it and the pressures and temperature very closely.

You amy also want to have some spare oil filters and coalescing elements ready to change out (when the others get full of dirt).

These are the best suggestions I can think of for your system afeef. I hope this helps you.

in the mater of fact i have 2 barells of compressor oil in warehouse, i want to use to clean the piping of the chiller, i will not run the compressor, only the oil pump to cerculate the cmpressor oil, the question is: do the compressor oil remove the particulate,sludge,carbon resdue,acids,oil and water from condenser and evaporator and its pipings? if not; what is the flushing formula used to clean out these contaminets ?

If you do not run the compressor, how then can you clean the condenser and the evaporator?
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Afeef,

Thanks for the info.
    Its not the brand or make that I'm concern about
    When you disclose the machine, it gave me a picture roughly on how the monster look like.
    If you are gonna use the unit oil pump itself to circulate the system. My advise, get an external larger capacity oil pump for the job if you got alot of oil to spare.
    By the way, have you done with the reclaiming for the
    R717?
    Flush it of with good N2.
    Dehydrate the sysytem with a good 500 micron or below.
    Charge up system and put it into operation.

Good luck to you Bro

dear peter;i will use external fluid pump to cerculate the desolving fluid;
    dear abdulazaman;Rx-11 is the formula for desolving the carbon resedue,debrises,acids,,,,etc. it is produced by ;
    www.nucalgon.com
    this formula is modified from R-11 ,it is CFC free(R-11 is inhibited since 95)
    any one have more experiance on flushing ?

Yeah afeef,
    R-11 was good substance, solvent solution for flushing the system and the best.
    But it was already banned here just 3 years ago.
    Rx-11 quite expensive here. We got other substitute, works fine and more cheap.
    Does not contribute to the ozone depletion.
    LOL Dude