greekguy Guest

Layman question re R410 tubing (xposting from Refrigerants)

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help out a layman with a problem. I just purchased a new home (just been constructed) that has *unused* installation (piping) for room air conditioning (split type). The installation was done two+ years ago (the house took a while to build apparently) so the piping (copper) was supposed to be used with R22.

These days I can't get split type room air conditioners here (Greece) with R22 -- all dealers have switched to importing R410 equipment.

How can I determine if the piping is ok to use with the higher pressures associated with R410? I assume that the material itself (copper) is not a problem, right?

Thanks, this is a headache -- I just found out about the whole R22 - R410 busines...

Tubing has been capped off, btw, so I think no problems there.

Re: Layman question re R410 tubing (xposting from Refrigerants)

Hello Greekguy,

For R410A you need to ensure that the gauge thickness is correct. I have attached a table that shows the correct gauge thickness we use in the UK (British standard). Generally the smaller diameter pipes are of the correct gauge but you can easily purchase the wrong gauge pipe for the larger diameter.
    The other point to remember is that field piping for R410A systems is normally smaller in diameter compared to an equivalent R22 system.

Hope it helps

Obi Wan
    Attached Images Attached Images

greekguy Guest

Thumbs up Re: Layman question re R410 tubing (xposting from Refrigerants)

Hi,

this is really useful! What's the working and max pressure for room airconditioning units using R410?

BTW, can someone illuminate me on the last column? What's the meaning of HARD pressure?

LRAC is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
    can someone illuminate me on the last column? What's the meaning of HARD pressure?
    hi greekguy

Tha last column just indicates how the pipe is manufactured and supplied.

Soft means usually supplied in 6,15,30 metre coils, Hard is supplied straight 3 and 6 metre lengths.

As to the question of the copper already installed i would find out the specification of the units you are hoping to fit and see if the pipe diameters match your existing. If the pipework is of a high standard i cannot see any reason why you can not utilise the piework already installed.

Kind regards
    Lrac

just a quick note. if you find pipe sizes etc.to be ok, do a pressure/leak test, might be best before fit the indoor/outdoor units to save problems later xxx

If it was standard copper they used, don't worry, it can widhtstand the pressure of R410a.
    1/4 can widtstand +/-134 bar (1943 psi) (with 4 times security), 3/8 89.50 bar (1298 psi) and 1/2 71.5 bar (1037 psi) and 5/8 57,20 Bar (829 psi)

Don't forget also that the lines are both low pressure lines.

The diameter is just slightly higher then you need, so velocity will decrease slightly.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Talking Re: Layman question re R410 tubing (xposting from Refrigerants)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1 View Post
    If it was standard copper they used, don't worry, it can widhtstand the pressure of R410a.
    1/4 can widtstand +/-134 bar (1943 psi) (with 4 times security), 3/8 89.50 bar (1298 psi) and 1/2 71.5 bar (1037 psi) and 5/8 57,20 Bar (829 psi)

Don't forget also that the lines are both low pressure lines.

The diameter is just slightly higher then you need, so velocity will decrease slightly.
    Thanks I came on here looking for an answer and found it!
    60% of the time it works everytime.